Queen Alexandra Bridge
There is a bridge here which takes a major road over the canal.
|Sunderland Yacht Club||2 miles, 1¼ furlongs|
|Sunderland Marina||2 miles, ½ furlongs|
|Hendon Dock||1 mile, 7½ furlongs|
|Wearmouth Bridge||1 mile, 1¾ furlongs|
|Wearmouth Rail Bridge||1 mile, 1½ furlongs|
|Queen Alexandra Bridge|
|Hylton Viaduct||2 miles, 1¾ furlongs|
|Cox Green Footbridge||4 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
|Victoria Viaduct||4 miles, 7½ furlongs|
|Fatfield Bridge||5 miles, 4½ furlongs|
|Chartershaugh Bridge||5 miles, 7 furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Wikipedia has a page about Queen Alexandra Bridge
- This article is about the bridge crossing the River Wear; for the bridge crossing the Ottawa River, see Alexandra Bridge.
The Queen Alexandra Bridge is a road traffic, pedestrian and (former) rail bridge spanning the River Wear in North East England, linking the Deptford and Southwick areas of Sunderland. The steel truss bridge was designed by Charles A. Harrison (a nephew of Robert Stephenson's assistant). It was built by Sir William Arrol between 1907 and 1909 and officially opened by The Earl of Durham, on behalf of Queen Alexandra on 10 June 1909.
In 1899 the North Eastern Railway and the Sunderland Corporation agreed to build the bridge to improve communications across the river and to connect the coalfields of Annfield Plain and Washington with Sunderland's south docks. Before the completion of the bridge, road traffic crossing the river had to use one of two ferries which crossed below near to where the bridge is today. As the bridge was due to be built near to the successful shipyards of the Wear, a clause in the North Eastern Railway Act 1900 required that only one arch span be built over the river to give a clearance of 85 feet above high water level.
The approaches to the bridge were completed in 1907 by the Mitchell Brothers of Glasgow and the bridge proper comprises three 200 foot land spans (weighing 1,000 tons of steel each) and a 300-foot river span (weighing 2,600 tons of steel) and was the heaviest bridge in the United Kingdom at the time. The bridge was built from each side of the river and the two halves came together at noon on 15 October 1908. In all, a total of 8,500 tons of steel, 4,500 tons of granite, 60,000 tons of red sandstone from Dumfries, and 350,000 bricks were used and the cost of completion was £450,000. The bridge also housed gas and water mains and in later years, high voltage electricity cables and a pumped rising-main for sewage.
About six million tons of coal passed over the upper-deck annually for export but the trade rapidly declined at the end of the 1910s. For the last few years only one train per day passed over the bridge. The last goods train ran over in 1921, but the lower-deck continues as a valuable road link. In the Second World War, the upper-deck was used as a searchlight and anti-aircraft platform. The railway and decking at each end of the bridge were finally removed near to the end of the 20th century. A large free standing brick and stone viaduct fragment remains on the north side of the Bridge.
From 21 March 2005, the bridge had been restricted to southbound traffic whilst repainting and repair work was carried out on the 96-year-old structure, which was due to take almost a year to complete. It reopened for both lanes of traffic on 12 October 2006, having been partly closed for 18 months and costing £6.3m in repairs.
- The Saltgrass (Beer Garden, Restaurant)
723 yards to the east.
- Hanover Place (Arts & Entertainment, British Restaurant)
796 yards to the east.
- Oddies Bar (Karaoke)
1050 yards to the southeast.
- The Lambton Worm Sunderland (Gastropub)
1540 yards to the southeast.
- Kacey's Bar (Party Entertainment Service)
911 yards to the southeast.
- Sunderland Massage Centre & Sports Injury Clinic- Blandford St. (Sports & Recreation, Skin Care Service)
1866 yards to the southeast.
- Dominos pizza (Fast Food Restaurant, Italian Restaurant)
1130 yards to the southwest.
- Bijoux Beauty (Cosmetics Store, Hair Removal Service)
926 yards to the southeast.
- SR4 (Barber Shop, Tanning Salon)
918 yards to the south.
- NKsalons - the LAB (Shopping & Retail)
831 yards to the northeast.
- Lucky eye Istanbul (Barber Shop)
760 yards to the northeast.
- Dembry and Macey (Makeup Artist)
1918 yards to the southeast.
- RachaelAtkinson-Labora2ory (Region, Professional Service)
831 yards to the northeast.
- Hairs & Graces Hair extensions specialist. Dawn Hopper (Hair Extensions Service)
928 yards to the northwest.
- Illusions Nightclub (Bar)
7284828 yards to the west.
- Venom Sunderland (Beer Bar, Live Music Venue)
1912 yards to the southeast.
- Lloyds No 1 - The Cooper Rose (Bar & Grill, Lounge)
1796 yards to the southeast.
- The Basement (Pub, Beer Garden)
1731 yards to the southeast.
- Fusion Microclub (Pub)
1886 yards to the southeast.
- Made4TheCage (Arts & Entertainment)
884 yards to the northeast.
- Karbon Grill (Steakhouse, Barbecue Restaurant)
1242 yards to the east.
- T4 Training (Professional Service)
498 yards to the northeast.
- New Level Gym (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1050 yards to the west.
- Ring Tone. (Business Service)
1015 yards to the southwest.
- Keel Square (Public Square Plaza)
1564 yards to the southeast.
- Stadium of Light (Public & Government Service)
1240 yards to the east.
- University of Sunderland (School, College & University)
1554 yards to the southeast.
- Sunderland Students' Union (College & University, College & University)
1557 yards to the southeast.
- Ford Estate (Region, Real Estate)
1774 yards to the southwest.
- Richard Hardie Group (Motor Vehicle Company, Automotive Repair Shop)
381 yards to the northeast.
- Sunderland Wall (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
626 yards to the west.
- Park Lane Interchange (Train Station, Transportation Service)
2047 yards to the southeast.
- DamGood.Food & Desserts (Caterer, Food & Beverage Company)
1199 yards to the southwest.
- Webster's Ropery (Food & Beverage)
331 yards to the east.
- SR2 Fitness (Personal Trainer)
1207 yards to the northwest.
- CitySpace (College & University)
1530 yards to the southeast.
- New Body Fitness NE (Sports & Fitness Instruction)
2158 yards to the northwest.
- Pallion (Region, Arts & Entertainment)
1347 yards to the southwest.