Penton Hook Lock
Facilities: rubbish disposal and water (cans only).
Places of interest within 1 mile and to which this is the nearest place: Natwest Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (4½ furlongs away)
This is a lock with a rise of 4f0.
|Church Island||2 miles|
|Staines Bridge||1 mile, 6¾ furlongs|
|Thames - Colne Junction||1 mile, 6 furlongs|
|Staines Railway Bridge||1 mile, 4¼ furlongs|
|Penton Hook Lock Weirs Entrance||¾ furlongs|
|Penton Hook Lock|
|Penton Hook Lock Weir Exit||¾ furlongs|
|Intake Channel to the Queen Mary Reservoir||2¼ furlongs|
|Chertsey Bridge (Motorway)||1 mile, 5½ furlongs|
|Chertsey Lock Weir Entrance||1 mile, 6¼ furlongs|
|Chertsey Lock||1 mile, 7¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposalThe nearest rubbish disposal is here. Others are at:
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outTravel to D'Oyly Carte Island Footbridge, then on the River Thames (Desborough Cut) to Thames Meadow, then on the River Thames (below Oxford) to Molesey Lock On this waterway in the direction of Osney Bridge Travel to D'Oyly Carte Island Footbridge, then on the River Thames (Desborough Cut) to Thames Meadow, then on the River Thames (below Oxford) to Teddington Lock Weir Exit, then on the River Thames (tidal section) to Thames - Grand Union Canal Junction, then on the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford) to Brentford Visitor Moorings Travel to Thames - Wey Junction, then on the River Wey Navigation to Woodham Junction, then on the Basingstoke Canal to Canal Centre Swing Bridge
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
Wikipedia has a page about Penton Hook Lock
Penton Hook Lock is the sixth lowest lock of forty four on the non-tidal reaches of the River Thames in England. It faces an island which was until its construction a pronounced meander (a hook) and is on the site of its seasonal cutoff. It is against the left bank marking the church parish medieval border of Laleham and Staines upon Thames in Surrey for many centuries. Until 1965 their county was Middlesex. At 266 ft (81 m) it is the third longest lock on the river.
A bend 900 m upstream of the lock, Silver Sands, hosts Staines Regatta in the sport of rowing annually. On the opposite bank in Thorpe is Penton Hook Marina which occupies lakes once land used for gravel extraction.
- Penton Hook Marina (Marina)
636 yards to the southwest.
- THORPE PARK Official (Landmark & Historical Place)
1542 yards to the southwest.
- Thorpe Park (Park, Business Service)
1033 yards to the southwest.
- Thorpe Park Beach! (Beach, Region)
1559 yards to the southwest.
- Penton Hook Lock (Sports & Recreation)
15 yards to the south.
- Vortex (Thorpe Park) (Amusement & Theme Park, Movie Theater)
1497 yards to the southwest.
- Tidal Wave (Thorpe Park) (Arts & Entertainment)
1627 yards to the southwest.
- Rush (Thorpe Park) (Amusement & Theme Park, Movie Theater)
1561 yards to the southwest.
- Staines Town F.C. (Arts & Entertainment, Sports Team)
611 yards to the north.
- Cavo's Coffee Shop (Food & Beverage Company)
1166 yards to the southeast.
- Staines & Laleham (Party Supply & Rental Shop)
1053 yards to the northeast.
- Staines Hockey Club (Amateur Sports Team)
719 yards to the northeast.
- Three Horseshoes (British Restaurant)
1184 yards to the southeast.
- The Wheatsheaf and Pigeon (Beer Garden)
936 yards to the northwest.
- LDB Wakeschool (Boat Service)
1441 yards to the southwest.
- Staines & Laleham Sports Association (Sports & Recreation Venue)
645 yards to the northeast.
- Penton Hook Island (Landmark & Historical Place, Sports & Recreation)
402 yards to the south.
- Flying Fish (roller coaster) (Landmark & Historical Place)
1557 yards to the southwest.
- The Swarm (roller coaster) (Sports & Recreation, Landmark & Historical Place)
1610 yards to the southwest.
- The Retreat (Gastropub)
528 yards to the northeast.