St. John's Lock
Mooring here is excellent (this is a really good mooring) .
Facilities: chemical toilet disposal, boater-operated pump-out, rubbish disposal, toilets and water (cans only).
This is a lock with a rise of 2f10.
|Bloomers Hole Footbridge||2½ furlongs|
|St. John's Lock Weir Exit No 2||1½ furlongs|
|Thames - Cole Junction No 2||1½ furlongs|
|St. John's Bridge||½ furlongs|
|St. John's Lock Weir Exit No 1||¼ furlongs|
|St. John's Lock|
|St. John's Lock Weir Entrance||¼ furlongs|
|Lechlade Public Moorings||4¾ furlongs|
|The New Inn Hotel||5½ furlongs|
|Ha'penny Bridge (Lechlade)||5¾ furlongs|
|The Riverside PH||6 furlongs|
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposalThe nearest rubbish disposal is here. Others are at:
Nearest chemical toilet disposalThe nearest chemical toilet disposal is here. Others are at:
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outThe nearest self-operated pump-out is here. Others are at:
Wikipedia has a page about St. John's Lock
St John's Lock is the furthest upstream lock on the River Thames in England. It is situated near the town of Lechlade, Gloucestershire. The name of the lock derives from a priory that was established nearby in 1250, but which no longer exists. The lock was built of stone in 1790 by the Thames Navigation Commission.
The main weir is downstream, just below St. John's Bridge, where the River Cole and the River Leach join the Thames on opposite banks.
There is a statue of Old Father Thames outside the lock house. The statue was commissioned in 1854 for The Crystal Palace's grounds. It was later moved to the traditional source of the Thames at Thames Head and then relocated to St John's Lock.