Barton Swing Aqueduct
There is a small aqueduct or underbridge here which takes a canal under the canal.
|Parkway Bridge No 45||1 mile, 1 furlong|
|Trafford Park Winding Hole||1 mile|
|Intu Trafford Centre Visitor Moorings||5½ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Pipebridge||2¼ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Bridge||2 furlongs|
|Barton Swing Aqueduct|
|Barton Lane Underbridge No 46A||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Yard||1 furlong|
|Patricroft Basin and Warehouse||2¼ furlongs|
|Patricroft Bridge Winding Hole||3½ furlongs|
|Patricroft Bridge No 47||3¾ furlongs|
Out of Manchester from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Saturday the 11th of April, 2009
Where it all began from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Tuesday the 7th of April, 2009
In to Wigan from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Sunday the 6th of July, 1980
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-outTravel to Stretford - Waters Meeting, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Stretford Marina
Wikipedia has a page about Barton Swing Aqueduct
The Barton Swing Aqueduct is a moveable navigable aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England. It carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal. The swinging action allows large vessels using the ship canal to pass underneath and smaller craft, both narrowboats and broad-beam barges to cross over the top. The aqueduct, the first and only swing aqueduct in the world, is a Grade II* listed building, and considered a major feat of Victorian civil engineering. Designed by Sir Edward Leader Williams and built by Andrew Handyside and Company of Derby, the swing bridge opened in 1894 and remains in regular use.
- T.G.I Friday's (American Restaurant, Bar)
319218 yards to the northwest.
- Pizza Hut Restaurants UK (Fast Food Restaurant)
1168 yards to the south.
- Pizza Hut (Fast Food Restaurant)
1421 yards to the south.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Trafford Park (Donut Shop, Bakery)
1102 yards to the southeast.
- Private Surgery in Manchester Eccles (Cardiologist, Obstetrician-Gynecologist (OBGYN))
1062 yards to the northwest.
- EventCity Manchester (Convention Center, Event Planner)
1404 yards to the southeast.
- Dogs and Divas Dog Daycare and Training Centre (Pet Sitter)
512 yards to the southeast.
- Frankie & Bennies Trafford Centre (American Restaurant)
1220 yards to the south.
- The Family Pet Show (Just For Fun)
1505 yards to the southeast.
- Peel Green Crematorium (Cemetery)
2143 yards to the west.
- Tattoo Tea Party (Cafe, Arts & Entertainment)
1370 yards to the southeast.
- The Fado (Portuguese Restaurant, Fast Food Restaurant)
1080 yards to the southwest.
- iFLY Indoor Skydiving UK (Performance & Event Venue)
1099 yards to the southwest.
- Leica Store Manchester (Shopping & Retail)
1059 yards to the north.
- Digital Kids Show (Event)
755 yards to the south.
- Apple Trafford Centre (Computer Store)
1153 yards to the south.
- Chill Factore (Sports Club)
1012 yards to the southwest.
- Play Factore (Playground, Party Entertainment Service)
1131 yards to the southwest.
- Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre North (Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant)
580 yards to the south.
- Rockhouse Hotel (Pub)
295 yards to the west.
- Las Iguanas Trafford Centre (Brazilian Restaurant, Mexican Restaurant)
1097 yards to the south.
- Elite:Manchester (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1561 yards to the east.
- DinoFalls Adventure Golf (Outdoor Recreation, Just For Fun)
919 yards to the southwest.
- DW Sports Fitness Trafford (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1167 yards to the southwest.
- Manchester Giants (Sports Team)
1130 yards to the southwest.
- The Bassline Festival (Event, Event Planner)
1627 yards to the southeast.
- David Lloyd Clubs (Personal Trainer, Tennis Stadium)
807 yards to the southwest.
- Crossfit Consilium (Sports Club)
1328 yards to the east.
- intu Trafford Centre (Movie Theater, Department Store)
1112 yards to the south.