|Heckdyke||5 miles, 1¾ furlongs|
|Gunthorpe||4 miles, 3¾ furlongs|
|Wildsworth||3 miles, 6½ furlongs|
|Owston Ferry||2 miles, 1¼ furlongs|
|Kelfield Corner||6 furlongs|
|West Butterwick||2 miles, 2¾ furlongs|
|M180 Bridge||3 miles, 3¾ furlongs|
|Derrythorpe||4 miles, 2½ furlongs|
|Burringham and Althorpe||4 miles, 7¼ furlongs|
|Keadby Bridge||5 miles, 6 furlongs|
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water pointTravel to Chesterfield Canal - River Trent Junction, then on the Chesterfield Canal (Retford to the Trent) to West Stockwith Basin
Nearest rubbish disposalTravel to Chesterfield Canal - River Trent Junction, then on the Chesterfield Canal (Retford to the Trent) to West Stockwith Basin
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to Chesterfield Canal - River Trent Junction, then on the Chesterfield Canal (Retford to the Trent) to West Stockwith Basin
Nearest place to turnTravel to Chesterfield Canal - River Trent Junction, then on the Chesterfield Canal (Retford to the Trent) to West Stockwith Basin
Nearest boatyard pump-outTravel to Keadby Junction, then on the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (Stainforth and Keadby Canal) to Thorne Swing Bridge
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
Wikipedia has a page about Susworth
Susworth is a hamlet in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the east bank of the River Trent, 3 miles (5 km) west from Scotter, in which civil parish it lies. The nearest large towns are Gainsborough, approximately 7 miles (11 km) to the south, and Scunthorpe 7 miles to the north-east.
This settlement documented as 'Susworth' was recorded c.1200, parts of which were considered associated with East Ferry.
In the second half of the 18th century, before the establishment of the Methodist chapel, invited Wesleyan preachers, one of whom was John Wesley, used a private house in the hamlet.
Susworth is recorded in the 1872 White's Directory as a hamlet of Scotter, others being Scotterthorpe and Cotehouses. There were six farmers in the hamlet, one of whom was also a blacksmith. There was the licensed victualler of the White Horse public house who was also a coal merchant, a further coal merchant, two shopkeepers, a joiner & wheelwright, a corn miller, a maltster, and a foreman maltster.
In 1885 Susworth contained a Primitive Methodist chapel. Occupations included ten farmers, a shopkeeper, wheelwright, blacksmith, and the landlord of the White Horse public house. By 1933 there were two Methodist chapels and a church reading room. The number of farmers had dropped to five, with one smallholder. A shop and the White Horse pub still existed.
Susworth soldiers killed in the First World War received no memorial within the village; at least eleven Susworth men survived the war.
The village contains a centre for civil marriages run by North Lincolnshire Council, a riverside inn and a post box.
- Jenny Wren Inn (Pub, Inn)
East Ferry Road, Scunthorpe, DN17 3 — 98 yards to the east.
- The Jenny Wren Susworth
East Ferry Road, Susworth, Scunthorpe, DN17 3AS — 318 yards to the south.
- Susworth (City)
192 yards to the east.
- Kelfield, Lincolnshire (City)
Hatfield, DN9 1 — 1293 yards to the southwest.