Facilities: chemical toilet disposal, boater-operated pump-out, rubbish disposal and toilets.
This is a lock with a rise of 6f9.
|Whitchurch Lock||2 miles, 3 furlongs|
|Whitchurch Toll Bridge||2 miles, 2 furlongs|
|Whitchurch Lock Weir Exit||2 miles, 1¾ furlongs|
|Hardwick House and Stud||1 mile, 1½ furlongs|
|Mapledurham Lock Weir Entrance||¾ furlongs|
|Mapledurham Lock Weir Exit||¾ furlongs|
|Purley Gardens Moorings||5½ furlongs|
|Tilehurst Station||1 mile, 2 furlongs|
|Poplar Island||1 mile, 5¼ furlongs|
|Appletree Eyot||1 mile, 6¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposalThe nearest rubbish disposal is here. Others are at:
Nearest chemical toilet disposalThe nearest chemical toilet disposal is here. Others are at: On this waterway in the direction of Teddington Lock Weir Exit Travel to Thames - Kennet Junction (Kennet Mouth), then on the River Thames (River Kennet) to High Bridge Reading, then on the River Kennet to Aldermaston Lock No 95
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outThe nearest self-operated pump-out is here. Others are at:
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
Wikipedia has a page about Mapledurham Lock
Mapledurham Lock is a lock and weir situated on the River Thames in England. The lock was first built in 1777 by the Thames Navigation Commissioners and the present lock dates from 1908.
Despite its name, the lock is located in the Berkshire village and civil parish of Purley-On-Thames on the south bank of the river, rather than in the Oxfordshire village of Mapledurham on the other side of the river. The lock is accessible from Purley village down Mapledurham Drive, a metalled lane that turns to gravel. The weir stretches across the river, in both counties.
The weir runs from the lock island in a long curve across the river between the two villages. However no access is possible across the weir, and without a boat, journeys between the two villages require a lengthy detour via Reading or Pangbourne. The weir still provides a head of water to drive Mapledurham Watermill which is on the opposite side of the river. The weir is also the furthest upstream on the Thames that has a salmon ladder.
- The Packhorse (British Restaurant)
3007 yards to the northeast.
- Mad Hatters Pottery Painting Cafe (Coffee Shop)
3489 yards to the south.
- Popworld Reading (Party Entertainment Service, Pub)
6121 yards to the southeast.
- Arthur Newbury Park (Playground)
2455 yards to the south.
- Royal Ascot Races (Limo Service)
5708 yards to the southeast.
- Caversham Heath Golf Club (Performance & Event Venue)
2578 yards to the east.
- Tilehurst Community Center (Social Service)
3479 yards to the south.
- Reading Southern railway station (Railway Station)
6292 yards to the southeast.
- The Herd Restaurant at Pangbourne (Steakhouse, British Restaurant)
3622 yards to the west.
- The "All New" Blagrave (Restaurant)
6328 yards to the southeast.
- Caffeine & Cocktails Reading (Coffee Shop)
6553 yards to the southeast.
- Rivers Ibis Health Club (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
3439 yards to the southeast.
- Reading Town FC (Sports Club)
3332 yards to the southeast.
- Nino's Trattoria (Caterer)
3491 yards to the west.
- Revolucion de Cuba Reading (Tapas Bar & Restaurant, Cocktail Bar)
6237 yards to the southeast.
- Tilehurst railway station (Transit Stop)
1963 yards to the southeast.
- Whitchurch Hill (Neighborhood)
3969 yards to the northwest.
- The Botanist Reading (Cocktail Bar)
6534 yards to the southeast.
- River Pang (Arts & Entertainment, Region)
3638 yards to the west.
- River Thames (Region, City)
133946 yards to the east.
- Escape Reading (Party Entertainment Service)
4823 yards to the southeast.
- Walkabout Reading (Australian Restaurant)
6322 yards to the southeast.
- Reading Town Hall (History Museum, Landmark & Historical Place)
6341 yards to the southeast.
- Culden Faw Estate (Professional Service, Real Estate)
4892 yards to the east.
- Herons Farm (Farm)
3710 yards to the west.
- The Paint Republic (Region, Event Planner)
1973 yards to the west.
- Whitchurch Bridge (Landmark & Historical Place, Business Service)
3422 yards to the west.
- Denefield School (High School)
2156 yards to the southwest.
- Caversham Heights (Arts & Entertainment, Residence)
4052 yards to the east.
- Upper Basildon (Residence)
8037 yards to the southwest.
- Emmer Green (City, Sports & Recreation)
5911 yards to the east.
- Pangbourne Working Mens Club (Country Club Clubhouse, Social Club)
3521 yards to the west.
- Little Heath School (Landmark & Historical Place, Private School)
4152 yards to the south.
- Reading and Leeds Festivals (Festival, Media)
3139 yards to the southeast.