What Changed in August to November 2014
Friday 1 August 2014
- A complete rewrite of the overnight stopping code. A third has been cut off the length, the code is cleaner, easier to read and uses much better algorithms. Just when testing it and comparing with the original I've seen it giving far more sensible results than the live code.
- A few improvements to the introductory text for overnight stopping places
- Suppressed the button bar from wiki pages when not editing (fixes issue 934).
→ Release 9.23 (beta only to let people test and contrast)
- Solved issue 930 - one reason for deleting photographs couldn't be selected
- Now rebuilds gazetteer cache when a photo is deleted so it vanishes from the page
- If you do a "forced refresh" of a gazetteer page (ctrl-f5 for example) it will regenerate the gazetteer cache (plugins will not have their caches refreshed, but already have a link to do that). Added when thinking about issue 931.
- Started work prompted by issue 937 to allow rivers to have different speeds in the two directions - nothing visible to the user yet.
→ Release 9.23
Saturday 2 August 2014
- Adjuster for maximum hours-per-day now works
- New stopping calculator takes max hours per day into account
- Which means that with a fixed-length trip it reports an error if it's not possible to plan the trip
- Added a report of max hpd to the output to help explain why you have short days sometimes
- Added a work-around for a directed stop just after the first hours - it puts an overnight in; the user can change it if they want but this avoids stretching the first night.
→ Release 184.108.40.206
Sunday 3 August 2014
- Completed work to allow flow to be taken into account on small and large rivers. This was – of course – nowhere near as easy as it sounded or I'd have done it long ago (the problem being that of the difference between a simple graph and a symmetric directed graph). But some reuse of existing information and enforcing some already generally true restrictions on the data managed to beat it into shape.
→ Release 9.23.1 (in beta)
Tuesday 5 August 2014
- Fixed wiki-rendering of edited quotations on index page
- Hopefully (pre-release) stopped an error message when quotations are added (I don't know if the user sees this, but I do).
- Pre-release fix to miscalculation in special case for new stopping code where last fixed night was after the calculated lastmorning.
Saturday 9 August 2014
- Added code to trap a specific pattern of bot attacks
- Extended generic bot code to log the IP address for automatic banning
Tuesday 19 August 2014
- Deleting unused intermediate boxes now moves the overnight stopping information to keep it aligned
- Empty place boxes before the first overnight stop no longer prevent overnight stop planning
To September 2014
- Improvements to build process
To October 2014
- Enhancements to overnight stopping to allow stopping on specific days. New "stopping" options box to manage this, integrated better with the drop-down menu
Friday 17 October 2014
- Subsequent days of multi-night stops in a lock-flight etc don't move to the end of it.
Saturday 18 October 2014
- Prevented editing from giving places empty names
To November 2014
- Code to verify the database integrity (that every waterway is traversable) and to regenerate the compressed database if not
Saturday 8 November 2014
- New export option for CSV to list overnight stopping places to implement issue 964
Sunday 9 November 2014
- Fixed "clash_struct_Y" message as reported in issue 962
→ Release 9.24 (in beta)
- Code to purge "nearest facility" information when attributes are added or removed from a nearby place - see issue 963 for details.
Saturday 15 November 2013
- Fixed failure of pop-up calendar to update page. Adjust positioning of pop-up calendar slightly
- The button to copy the starting place to the end didn't work
→ Release 9.24.1 (still in beta)
Sunday 16 November 2014
- Issue 968 identified a situation where the different distances to a suggested winding hole weren't presented properly. I'd forgotten the case where the best route to the nearest winding hole was a completely different route to that to the place given. Fixed this (really quite complicated to both fix and test as you're trying to get both the logic and the constructed sentences right and distance calculations and English have different logics).
- Added "plan" and "editor" buttons to the list of potential winding places
- Fixed route summaries to include the place you turn round at
→ Release 9.24.2 (first live release since 2 August)
- ADDS* Flow on rivers is taken into account
- ADDS* Can select night for overnight stops
- Tweak to cope with people with active sessions from old version of stopping code
→ Release 220.127.116.11
Thursday 20 November 2014
- Enhancements to editing code to log the IP of non-logged-on users and to avoid the presentation bug where they appear under a slowly-changing alias.
→ Release 9.24.3
- Hmm - more testing of early morning code needed next time!
→ Release 18.104.22.168
Saturday 22 November 2014
- Main history file and feeds now shows coordinate changes and IPs of non-logged on users
- Fixed bug in translating old stopping codes to new ones that prevented intermediate places appearing when loading a saved route
Sunday 23 November 2014
- Hopefully fixed the bug reported in issue 941 - other work in the stopping code appears to have sorted it out.
→ Release 9.24.4
- Added a trap and a message for when you try to travel upstream on a river at a speed less than the river flows at
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- As suggested in issue 946 created a system of maps with markers for the "furthest place" calculations
→ Release 9.24.5 (in beta)
- Fixed (pre-release) a bug in refreshing Google searches on waterway pages
Wednesday 26 November 2014
- Fixed (pre-release) a typo that prevented proper error messages when overnight stops couldn't be planned
Monday 1 December 2014
- Added code to translate old stopping data in saved routes into the new sort when loading
Tuesday 2 December 2014
- Fixed a bug where "Selected stops are the only overnight stops" didn't work