Help about Waterways
Select Waterways from the main menu. A drop down box will appear with – Select – shown. The first box contains the major areas.
- Mainland Britain
- Mainland Europe
- North America
After a selection is made another drop down box will appear with – Select – shown. Each time narrowing down the search until the standard CanalPlanAC Waterways page is displays with the Waterways name at the top of the page. At each drop down box an option to show all of the waterways within the preceding selections.
Another way is by entering Waterway into the Quick Search box.
Each Waterways page is divided into sections and this example is based on the place Grand Junction Canal > Main Line:
- CanalPlanAC Location — Home Page > Waterways > Mainland Britain > Grand Union Canal > Grand Junction Canal > Main Line. Clicking on the text between > > will display the next level up.
- QR code — You can use a QR code to go straight to a place, waterway or photograph in CanalPlanAC. This one takes you to Grand Junction Canal > Main Line. Just photograph it with a smart phone. You will need a suitable app on your smart phone to use the QR code. There are lots of good and free apps available, just search for 'QR reader' and find one that runs on your phone. You can also print this code to use later or for others to use - so if you run a waterside business you can use it to direct visitors to the entry on CanalPlanAC that describes the place or shows photos of it!
- Link— Allows the copying of the URL (http://canalplan.org.uk/waterway/h65o , this is Grand Junction Canal > Main Line) to link in emails, blogs etc
- Waterways — Shows the Waterways name
- Map — The map has the line of the selected waterway in blue. Selected places are shown in blue text.
- Gazetteer — A list of all the places attributed to this waterway with their distances and lock count.
- Information — The following information is shown:
- Waterway statistics — Type of waterway, from / to, length, number of locks.
- Boat dimensions — Maximum boat dimensions to be able to travel on the waterway.
- Junctions — Junctions encountered on this waterway.
- Notable features of the waterway — Includes flights,
tunnels, and staircases.
See Major edit