What Changed in May 2009
Early April 2009
A lot of development on the Eee while boating and visiting in-laws. Now imported, and combined with fixes for some reported bugs from the project page (thanks to nbphil for reporting them this way - it works so well for me).
- Fixed auto-select not working in Chrome. For a reason I can't quite understand it was adding a carriage return to the beginning of the first place name in the list.
- Restructured waterways gazetteer:
- Shows a list of places, rather than of pairs of places
- Shows place detail text
- Shows linear maps
Linear maps has involved importing lots of data and code from the old version and adding quite a lot more info to the SQL database, as well as adding some interesting new stuff (recalculating them for a waterway when a place is edited for example). Expect to see them on the itineraries soon. This work was inspired by seeing a print-out of an itinerary from the stable release on the cabin-top of a boat descending Audlem when we were going up, and re-realising how good they look.
- Plugins can now have options and these are seamlessly integrated into the options pages. Lots of work to no significant appearance change, but will make future development and maintenance easier.
- For my benefit, I've added a tweak to stop the gazetteer failing if run on a machine without all the photo files, and a way of turning off remote lookups (Google, Wikipedia etc) when run on a machine with no Internet connection (neither of these, obviously, apply to the live server, but do to my Eee in the middle of Preston Brook Tunnel!).
- I've done a lot of development on POIs, although nothing fit to release yet.
- Source code improvements:
- Improved JSON parsing to cope with some empty output from remote sites in plugins
- Allowed list-type configure variables (used for plugin options)
- In testing the linear maps I found a few bugs in the L&L and fixed them
- Linear maps now have the ability to show bridges over spurs (no way for users to set spurs yet though).
- Fixed data error that lead to negative distances on the top of the GU
- Fixed "hoursand" formatting error
This is a lot of stuff, so I'm releasing it as a new major sub-version
Sunday 19 April 2009
- Made cursor movement on quick-select boxes work properly in Opera. This is an Opera bug where it over-optimises and needs to be tickled into redrawing elements at times.
Monday 20 April 2009
- Prevented large photos from being uploaded - giving a suitable message
- Added "shortcut" icon to place finder results.
- Restored the place finder function when you enter something like "Wigan Locks" into the box. I came back from holiday to find a number of errors from this, and serendipitously, had added the necessary data structures when adding the linear maps last week (known improvements needed - directions and counts for lock flights).
Tuesday 21 April 2009
- Fixed bug in place-creation part of synchronisation code
- Added lock count to placefinder flight page
- Moving a place (changing coordinates) recalculates distances as well
4 May 2009
- Added easy way to link new code blocks in (which I've called "modules") - these are modeled on plugins and use some features I added to make plugins work, and started to use it to develop "furthest place"
- Got basic furthest place listing working
- Internallised a lot of distance checking from the script: huge speed-up
- Used that time saved to justify creating a back-trace of how to get there
- Fixed a bug where quickroute was failing sometimes and certainly not working with placefinder
5 May 2009
- Furthest Place now also produces a list of destinations that are within certain %age of the distance. Later this will be made parametric.
8 May 2009
- Fixed bug in synchronisation code where place comments weren't getting fixed
- Fixed bug in database locking detection where it kept retrying for ever, rather than failing with an error after a few seconds
- Fixed bug in synchronisation code which was causing database locking to happen.
- Furthest Place now has just a "cancel" button at the bottom
9 May 2009
- There is now a "cancel" button on the options screen (should always have been there, but for a typo)
- You can now stop a place being a winding hole when editing the details
9 Mar 2009
- Fixed layout bug where large maps overlapped the mini distance table
- Fixed mini distance tables for some junctions (eg Bull's Bridge)
→ Release 18.104.22.168
- Added try/catch syntax to the CanalPlan scripting langauge. It's not perfect yet (in particular, it cannot be embedded in functions/procedures as execution terminated quietly at return/end define) but works well enough to...
- Used this to implement silent failure (but logging) in plugins (sometimes remote sites are down, return strange results etc). This will greatly reduce the noise in the automatic bug reporting, and will also make the site more resilient (so a failure at Wikipedia, say, will just kill the Wikipedia plugin, not destroy the gazetteer page).
→ Release 22.214.171.124
10 May 2009
- Turned off "autocomplete" for number boxes on planning page.
dates to 24 May 2009
- The entire master distance table has been checked against references, and the whole network recalculated around this (a nice little job to do on the Eee when boating to Stafford and back).
- A new single place "for loop" (that takes the same options block as "for route") has been created that set the distance context. Within this placeinfo() gives distances and times, and routes (using the backtrace code developed on 4 May).
- Added a rings table to the database
- Combined all of these to start to develop a new ring suggester for furthest place
25 May 2009
- Added a "reverse" function for lists to the language
- Fixed bug where hours-per-day wasn't used in the furthest place
- Got "on the ring" part of furthest place working.
- Identified a problem with the processing time involved in this - will need further thought. It's the time taken to walk round all rings to find out if a place is on them (which could be fixed using more detail in the ring definition) and to find the nearest place to somewhere if it isn't (much harder to speed up).
- Started to experiment with adding linking with AddThis
- Made "cancel" work from furthest place
- Added a "copy first place into final place" button
- Added optional additional menus to the button bar - will turn into proper "split buttons" at a later date.
- Added one of these for "new route".
26 May 2009
- Got boxes-per-row working so it all looks a lot tidier.
- Completed all the box editing stuff
- Added resize handler, so as you change the screen size, the boxes re-adjust to complete rows
- Shrunk the "route title" box slightly, so the window can be made narrower without horizontal scrolling.
- Restored signal trapping
- Completed furthest place rings apart from time problem (hence restoring signals)
- Improved title on route lists
- Removed 2 spare locks from Audlem
- Used code developed for index page to prevent route entry page hanging (in particular, the addition of intermediate place boxes) while waiting for external sites.
- Got the ring searching down to vaguely livable with time, but speeding it up in C is going to be necessary
- Merged the Black Country and Staffordshire Rings - they're the same!
- Added a simple API to support Steve's blogging work
- Turned off bookmarking until I've worked out what to do with sessions
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Put a small border round the drop-down autoselector
- Released the code for this on Google
- Fixed bug where last day was missing from itineraries
- Fixed a template bug in add_photo
- Tidied up the HTML for the exclusions options
- Got exclusions to work
- Restored linear maps to itineraries - not perfect, but usable and worth looking at
- Made "list with titles" the default output mode
→ Release 188.8.131.52
To 28 May 2009
- Added holidays to itineraries. I had to patch the code - they've been broken in the live version for quite some time now! (it looks as though I tried to enhance the code for variable format strings and never completed it).
- Added road numbers and names from existing database and started on display/edit for gazetteer
→ Release 184.108.40.206
To 7 June 2009
- Gazetteer page got the same "don't wait for everything to load" treatment as index and route entry - it was often sitting there completely blank before this
- Created a background daemon to handle long database requests (such as adjusting a stretch of waterway when a place changes)
- Added all the supporting code to make this work.
- Removed excess "Content-type" from alert-boxes about edit changes
- Added a blog interface
→ Release 8.3.8
7 June 2009
- Fixed a bug in the button layout text, that was (quite understandably) confusing IE8.
-→ Release 220.127.116.11
- Fixed a bit more to do with the deferred update code
-→ Release 18.104.22.168
- Added process timing to deferred transaction logs
- Added deferred transactions into synchronisation
- Added some new places on tbe Basingstoke that had been submitted on the live version