What Changed in December 2010
Sunday 28 November 2010
- Replaced a missing "is" in place descriptions
- Made the autocomplete code cope with '('s in place names
- Made the title box for wiki pages a more reasonable length
Saturday 4 December 2010
- Fixed a bug where gazetteer lookups for places in the US were failing because of sunrise/sunset problems. I've tweaked the code to work round this, but it just shows that there is a bigger problem (see issue 276 for details.
- Tidied up template files - removed some obsolete duplicates that were .html rather than .cst
- Improved spacing on home page (only) between search box and "go" button.
- Added a new "banner" to go at the top of pages that don't have menus. This provides the logo, useful links, and a background for what was previously the large header text for the page.
Sunday 5 December 2010
-→ Release 9.10.17
- Fixed silly little bug from the re-organisation that broke empty waterway gazetteers
- Fixed a bug I'd logged as issue 273 where Try This didn't work from placefinder.
- Added information about the place (lat, lng, ID, sunrise/set, Postcode, OS ref) to virtual cruise
→ Release 9.10.18
- Broke sub-modules like "find_nearest" out of api.can for efficiency
To Friday 10 December 2010
- Work on a new "find nearest" function to be quicker, more reliable and extensible to cope with options (waterway/boat size) and planned POI work
Saturday 11 December 2010
- Added background fetching of postcodes for relevant places (still very useful to link to other sites)
→ Release 9.10.19
- New weather plugin
→ Release 9.10.20
Sunday 12 December 2010
- POI database structure defined and implemented
- POI display on maps re-created from previous version but with new databases
- A selection of POIs added as proof of concept
There is a lot to be done on POIs - at present there is no user control at all. Work on this will continue.
→ Release 9.11 *ADDS* POIs
Monday 13 December 2010
- (Pre-release) Fixed bug where POIs for maps were breaking on the server (Steve spotted in server logs)
- (Pre-release) Protected against msnbot's random and confused search strings for photos and people as well as places
- (Pre-release) Temporary fix against strange returns from Wikipedia query breaking stuff
- (Pre-release) Database hack to fix a nameless place beyond St Jean de Losne that had recently been created (I doubt there is such a place at all, but am not a local expert)
Saturday 18 December 2010
- (Pre-release) Fixed the "Move markers" function (broken when I chopped a bit of code out when adding POIs). This fixes issues 279 and 282.
Monday 27 December 2010
- Added aliases of waterways - Llangollen, Erewash and Caldon at this stage. No facility to edit other than by database hacking yet. This resolves the longstanding issue 49
- Fixed a buglet where sometimes one too many new photo thumbnails were displayed on the home page - because the box size was calculated too early in rendering. It is now recalculated at the end, so should fix itself.
- Improved the layout as well, so auto-resizing if you alter the window now works. Extended the maximum number of photos shown to 15
- POI preferences now control what is shown on maps. Designed to take structure from database, and apply sensible defaults to new POI types depending on position in hierarchy and existing settings
→ Release 9.11.1
- Hid marker places from the nearby places (with the map) in placefinder
- Allowed plugins to default to not shown when not logged in - set this for some that are a bit heavy on the server (Wikipedia, Google, OSMaps and weather)
- Input areas in wiki pages (currently mainly used for this changelog) set focus at end when saved
- (Pre-release) fix where lack of POI options on existing sessions prevented some logged on actions issue 284
Tuesday 28 December 2010
(Pre-release) fix to search engine pages also caused by the POI options
- Fixed a bug where no-POI options was sometimes sending an invalid request to the poi_box utility
→ Release 9.11.2
- Re-instituted the whole "upgrade taking place" bit from the old version, since I've twice now had builds fail (including causing yesterday's problems) because the canal executable was busy.
→ Release 9.11.3
- Fixed a (very long-standing) bug in the RSS feed generation that has just materialised issue 285
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Better fix than the last one which destroyed some formatting - instead of escaping when rendering, escape all generated strings created during page generation
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Added a couple more supermarkets to POI (pre-release)
- Added facilities to itinerary output as requested in issue 241
- Fixed layout in placefinder as I'd noted in issue 135
- (pre-release) send some missing POI icon files to the server
Wednesday 29 December 2010
- Extended background processor to maintain a "closest place" for each POI that is updated whenever a place is added or deleted or moved.
to Friday 31 December 2010
- Big pile of work on POI including:
- an entirely new chunk of interpreter to let me hunt for places with appropriate POIs in a reasonable time. This bit isn't used yet but will be shortly
- I've added POIs within a distance to the gazetteer
- added the ability to chose that distance
- added a "show this sort of POI near here" linked from this
If there are obvious things you think should be here (like, for example, show POIs that are near here but not nearest to here, search for POIs, find the nearest such-a-thing, plan a route on the canal, plan a route to walk) then I'm already thinking of it I hope.
- Added better debugging info to "match" to catch rare failures
→ Release 9.11.4