Aire and Calder Navigation (Leeds Dock)
The Aire and Calder Navigation (Leeds Dock) is a commercial waterway and is part of the Aire and Calder Navigation. It runs for 1½ furlongs from Leeds Dock Head of Navigation (which is a dead end) to Leeds Dock Entrance (where it joins the Aire and Calder Navigation (Main Line - Castleford to Leeds)).
The exact dimensions of the largest boat that can travel on the waterway are not known. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.The navigational authority for this waterway is Canal & River Trust
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 13M - Aire and Calder and Calder and Hebble Navigations Map (Downloadable)
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Leeds Dock Head of Navigation|
|Clarence Dock Footbridge||¾ furlongs||0 locks|
|Leeds Dock Water Taxi Pontoon||¾ furlongs||0 locks|
|Leeds Dock Visitor Moorings
East (Armouries) side of Dock
|1 furlong||0 locks|
|Leeds Dock Side Arm||1 furlong||0 locks|
|Leeds Dock Flood Gates||1¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Clarence Dock Bridge||1¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Leeds Dock Entrance||1½ furlongs||0 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Aire and Calder Navigation
The Aire and Calder Navigation is a river and canal system of the River Aire and the River Calder in the metropolitan county of West Yorkshire, England. The first improvements to the rivers above Knottingley were completed in 1704 when the Aire was made navigable to Leeds and the Calder to Wakefield, by the construction of 16 locks. Lock sizes were increased several times, as was the depth of water, to enable larger boats to use the system. The Aire below Haddlesey was bypassed by the opening of the Selby Canal in 1778. A canal from Knottingley to the new docks and new town at Goole provided a much shorter route to the River Ouse from 1826. The New Junction Canal was constructed in 1905, to link the system to the River Don Navigation, by then part of the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation.
Steam tugs were introduced in 1831. In the 1860s, compartment boats were introduced, later called Tom Puddings, from which coal was unloaded into ships by large hydraulic hoists. This system enabled the canal to carry at its peak more than 1.5 million tons of coal per year, and was not abandoned until 1986. To handle trains of compartments, many of the locks were lengthened to 450 feet (140 m).
Although much of the upper reaches are now designated as leisure routes, there is still significant commercial traffic on the navigation. 300,000 tons were carried in 2007, although most of the traffic is now petroleum and gravel, rather than the coal which kept the navigation profitable for 150 years.