Wey and Arun Canal (Arun Navigation)

The Wey and Arun Canal (Arun Navigation) is a broad canal and is part of the Wey and Arun Canal. It runs for 5 miles and 1¾ furlongs through 5 locks from Wey & Arun - Arun Junction (where it joins the Wey and Arun Canal (Wey & Arun Junction Canal)) to Pallingham Quay (where it joins the River Arun).

The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 72 feet long and 14 feet wide. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.

This waterway is excluded by default from route planning with the following explanation: "under restoration"

 
 
 

A map will be shown here if you are logged on

Wey & Arun - Arun Junction
Junction of the Wey & Arun Junction Canal and the River Arun
Guildenhurst Bridge 2 furlongs 0 locks
Orfold Bridge 1 mile and ¼ furlongs 0 locks
Lordings Aqueduct 1 mile and 2¾ furlongs 0 locks
Lordings Lock 1 mile and 3 furlongs 0 locks
Orfold Flood Gates 1 mile and 5 furlongs 1 lock
Harsfold Bridge 2 miles and 1 furlong 2 locks
Haybarn Bridge 2 miles and 5 furlongs 2 locks
Lee Farm Bridge 3 miles and 1¼ furlongs 2 locks
Lee Farm Lock 3 miles and 2¾ furlongs 2 locks
New Toat Bridge 4 miles and ¼ furlongs 3 locks
Old Toat Bridge 4 miles and 1¼ furlongs 3 locks
Cook's Bridge 4 miles and 3¾ furlongs 3 locks
Pallingham Quay Bridge 5 miles 3 locks
Pallingham Double Lock 5 miles and 1¾ furlongs 3 locks
Pallingham Quay
Junction of the Wey & Arun Junction Canal and the River Arun
5 miles and 1¾ furlongs 5 locks
 
 
 
There are no links to external websites from here.
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
 
 
 
 

Wikipedia has a page about Wey and Arun Canal

The Wey and Arun Canal is a partially restored, 23-mile-long (37 km) canal in the south east of England. It runs southwards from the River Wey at Shalford, Surrey to the River Arun at Pallingham, in West Sussex. The canal comprises parts of two separate undertakings – the northern part of the Arun Navigation, between Pallingham and Newbridge Wharf, which opened in 1787, and the Wey and Arun Junction Canal, which connected the Arun at Newbridge to the Godalming Navigation near Shalford, south of Guildford, opened in 1816. The canal was built with 26 locks.

Passing through a rural landscape, there was little freight traffic to justify its continued existence, and the canal was officially abandoned in 1871.

Without maintenance, the canal gradually became derelict over much of its length. However, since 1970, active restoration by The Wey & Arun Canal Trust has resulted in several miles of the waterway being restored to navigable standard. Work is continuing, with the ultimate aim of re-opening the entire canal to navigation.

Other Wikipedia pages that might relate to Wey and Arun Canal
[Wey South Path] [London to Portsmouth canal] [Wey and Godalming Navigations] [Wisborough Green] [River Arun] [Dunsfold] [Loxwood] [List of windmills in Surrey] [Wey]
Information retrieved Tuesday 29 December 2015 at 11:22