Driffield Navigation (West Beck)
The Driffield Navigation (West Beck) is a broad canal and is part of the Driffield Navigation. It runs for 1 mile and 6½ furlongs from Corps Landing (which is a dead end) to Corps Landing Branch Junction (where it joins the Driffield Navigation (Main waterway)).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 61 feet long and 14 feet and 6 inches wide. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|West Beck Junction Bridge||1 mile and 6¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Corps Landing Branch Junction
West Beck leaves to the left
|1 mile and 6½ furlongs||0 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Driffield Navigation
The Driffield Navigation is an 11-mile (18 km) waterway, through the heart of the Holderness Plain to the market town of Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The northern section of it is a canal, and the southern section is part of the River Hull. Construction was authorised in 1767, and it was fully open in 1770. Early use of the navigation was hampered by a small bridge at Hull Bridge, which was maintained by Beverley Corporation. After protracted negotiation, it was finally replaced in 1804, and a new lock was built to improve water levels at the same time. One curious feature of the new works were that they were managed quite separately for many years, with the original navigation called the Old Navigation, and the new works called the New Navigation. They were not fully amalgamated until 1888.
The navigation gradually became more profitable, and although railways arrived at Driffield in 1846, the navigation continued to prosper and increase its traffic until the 1870s, after which there was a gradual decline. It continued to make a small profit until the 1930s, and the last commercial traffic was in 1951. Following proposals to use it as a water supply channel in 1959, the Driffield Navigation Amenities Association was formed in 1968, with the aim of restoring the waterway to a navigable condition. One problem was that there was no longer a legal body responsible for the assets, and so the Driffield Navigation Trust was formed, which took over the role of the original commissioners. Since that time, most of the navigation has been returned to a navigable condition, although there are still some obstacles to its full use, caused by bridges which have been lowered or built since the 1950s.