The Ripon Canal is a broad canal and is part of the Waterways of Mainland Britain. It runs for 2 miles and ¾ furlongs through 3 locks from Ripon Canal - Ure Junction (where it joins the River Ure) to Ripon Basin (which is a dead end).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 61 feet and 4 inches long and 16 feet and 3 inches wide. The maximum headroom is 9 feet and 2 inches. The maximum draught is 4 feet and 11 inches.
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 14M - River Ouse and Tributaries Map (Downloadable)
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Ripon Canal - Ure Junction
Junction of Ripon Canal and the River Ure
|Oxclose Lock||1 furlong||0 locks|
|Rentons Bridge||3¾ furlongs||1 lock|
|Ripon Motor Boat Club Marina||6½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Nicholsons Bridge||1 mile||1 lock|
|Ripon Marina||1 mile and 2½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Bell Furrows Lock||1 mile and 2¾ furlongs||1 lock|
|Rhodesfield Lock||1 mile and 4½ furlongs||2 locks|
|Dallamires Lane Footbridge
Connects Dallamires Lane with Boroughbridge Road
|1 mile and 5¾ furlongs||3 locks|
|Ripon Bypass Bridge||1 mile and 6¼ furlongs||3 locks|
End of Navigation
|2 miles and ¾ furlongs||3 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Ripon Canal
The Ripon Canal is located in North Yorkshire, England. It was built by the canal engineer William Jessop to link the city of Ripon with the navigable section of the River Ure at Oxclose lock, from where boats could reach York and Hull. It opened in 1773, and was a moderate success. It was sold to the Leeds and Thirsk Railway in 1847, and was effectively closed by 1906, due to neglect. It was not nationalised with most canals and railways in 1948, and was abandoned in 1956.
In 1961, members of the Ripon Motor Boat Club formed the Ripon Canal Company Ltd, and gradually restored the canal up to Littlethorpe. Subsequently, the Ripon Canal Society spearheaded restoration, which was completed in 1996. It is now managed by the Canal & River Trust.