The Louth Navigation is a narrow canal and is part of the Waterways of Mainland Britain. It runs for 11 miles through 8 locks from Humber - Louth Junction (where it joins the River Humber) to Louth River Head (which is a dead end).
The exact dimensions of the largest boat that can travel on the waterway are not known. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.
This waterway is excluded by default from route planning with the following explanation: "under restoration"
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Humber - Louth Junction
Junction of the River Humber with the Louth Navigation
|Humber Sea Sluice||2 miles and 4¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Tetney Tidal Barrier||3 miles and 1 furlong||0 locks|
|Tetney Lock Bridge||3 miles and 2 furlongs||0 locks|
|Tetney Lock (location of)||3 miles and 2 furlongs||0 locks|
|Louth Field Bridge No 1||3 miles and 5 furlongs||1 lock|
|Thoresby Bridge||4 miles and 3¾ furlongs||1 lock|
|Land Dike Footbridge||5 miles and 2½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Firebeacon Bridge||5 miles and 7½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Covenham Reservior Feeder
|6 miles and ¼ furlongs||1 lock|
|Biergate Footbridge||6 miles and 5 furlongs||1 lock|
|Austen Fen Bridge||7 miles and 1¾ furlongs||1 lock|
|Louth Footbridge No 1||7 miles and 4¼ furlongs||1 lock|
|Outfen Lock (remains of)||8 miles and 1 furlong||1 lock|
|High Bridge (Alvingham)||8 miles and 3 furlongs||2 locks|
|Alvingham Footbridge||8 miles and 7½ furlongs||2 locks|
|Alvingham Lock (remains of)||9 miles and 1 furlong||2 locks|
|Alvingham Lock Road Bridge||9 miles and 1¼ furlongs||3 locks|
|Salterfen Lock (remains of)||9 miles and 4¼ furlongs||3 locks|
|Louth Field Bridge No 2||9 miles and 6¾ furlongs||4 locks|
|Willow's Lock (remains of)
The best remaining example of a barrel sided lock which is unique to the Louth Navigation
|10 miles||4 locks|
|Ticklepenny's Lock (remains of)||10 miles and 2 furlongs||5 locks|
|Ticklepenny's Lock Bridge||10 miles and 2 furlongs||6 locks|
|Keddington Church Lock (remains of)||10 miles and 4½ furlongs||6 locks|
|Keddington Church Lock Footbridge||10 miles and 4½ furlongs||7 locks|
|Site of Top lock and Tilting Weir||10 miles and 6¾ furlongs||7 locks|
|Louth River Head||11 miles||8 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Louth Navigation
The Louth Navigation was a canalisation of the River Lud. It ran for 11 miles (18 km) from Louth in Lincolnshire, England, to Tetney Haven, at the mouth of the Humber. It was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1763 and completed in 1770, under the supervision of the engineer John Grundy, Jr. and then by James Hogard. Eight locks were required to overcome the difference in altitude, six of which were constructed with sides consisting of four elliptical bays, a design only ever used on this canal in Britain.
The Act did not provide the normal provisions for raising capital for the construction, as finance could only be obtained by leasing of the tolls. When completed, the commissioners leased the tolls to Charles Chaplin, who held ten shares and was also a commissioner, for an initial period of seven years. When the lease was due for renewal, no other takers were found, and Chaplin was granted a 99-year lease, despite the fact that the Act did not authorise such an action. He collected the tolls but failed to maintain the navigation. When complaints were received, a new Act of Parliament was obtained in 1828, to alter the tolls and legalise Chaplin's long lease. The lease was transferred to two railway companies in 1847, and reverted to the commissioners in 1876. The operation was a moderate success until the beginning of the twentieth century, when there was a rapid decline in income, and the canal formally closed in 1924.
Because the canal also acted as a channel for land drainage, it was not subject to infilling, and is now a designated main river, managed by the Environment Agency, with drainage of the surrounding land managed by the Lindsey Marsh Internal Drainage Board. It acts as a feeder for Covenham Reservoir, from which treated water enters the public water supply. Water from Waithe Dike supplements the supply, effectively flowing upstream along the canal, and when required, additional water is pumped into the canal along a pipeline from the Great Eau.
The Louth Navigation Trust was formed in 1986 to promote the canal as an amenity, and has established a base in a restored canal warehouse in Louth. A feasibility study for restoring the canal for navigation was commissioned in 2004, and the Trust is hoping that this could be a reality by 2020.