Stratford Canal (Lapworth Link)
The Stratford Canal (Lapworth Link) is a narrow canal and is part of the Stratford Canal. It runs for 1 furlong from Lapworth Junction South (where it joins the Stratford Canal (Northern Section) and the Stratford Canal (South Section)) to Lapworth Link Junction (where it joins the Stratford Canal (Kingswood Branch)).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 72 feet long and 7 feet wide. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.
Relevant publications — Waterway Travels:
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 90M - Avon Ring Map (Downloadable)
- Waterway Routes 45M - Stratford uopn Avon Canal Map (Downloadable)
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
- Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides No 2 - Severn, Avon & Birmingham
- Pearsons Canal Companion: South Midlands and Warwickshire Ring & Ashby and Connecting Canals
- Pearson's Canal Companion: Severn & Avon: Mid-Worcestershire Ring and Cotswold Canals (Saul-Sapperton)
- Heron Maps: Avon Ring and Droitwich Ring
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Lapworth Junction South|
|Lapworth Link Junction Bridge||¾ furlongs||0 locks|
|Lapworth Link Junction||1 furlong||0 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Stratford Canal
The Stratford-upon-Avon Canal is a canal in the south Midlands of England. The canal, which was built between 1793 and 1816, runs for 25.5 miles (41.0 km) in total, and consists of two sections. The dividing line is at Kingswood Junction, which gives access to the Grand Union Canal. Following acquisition by a railway company in 1856, it gradually declined, the southern section being un-navigable by 1945, and the northern section little better.
The northern section was the setting for a high-profile campaign by the fledgling Inland Waterways Association in 1947, involving the right of navigation under Tunnel Lane bridge, which required the Great Western Railway to jack it up in order to allow boats to pass. These actions saved the section from closure. The southern section was restored by the National Trust between 1961 and 1964, after an attempt to close it was thwarted. The revived canal was re-opened by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, and responsibility for it was transferred to British Waterways in 1988.