Foulridge Tunnel (Southwest end)
This is a pinch point. The normal maximum dimensions for a boat on this waterway are 62 feet long, 14 feet and 11 inches wide, 7 feet and 6 inches high and 4 feet and 3 inches deep, but to pass through here the maximum dimensions are 7 feet and 6 inches high.
|Barrowford Lock No 46||7½ furlongs|
|Barrowford Top Lock No 45||7 furlongs|
|Barrowford Visitor Moorings||5¾ furlongs|
|Blakey Bridge No 144||3¾ furlongs|
|Wanless Bridge No 145||2½ furlongs|
|Foulridge Tunnel (Southwest end)|
|Foulridge Tunnel (Northeast end)||7½ furlongs|
|Foulridge Wharf||1 mile, ¼ furlongs|
|Former Railway Bridge No 146||1 mile, ½ furlongs|
|Foulridge Wharf Winding Hole||1 mile, ¾ furlongs|
|Daubers Bridge No 147||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outOn this waterway in the direction of Wigan Junction
Nearest boatyard pump-outOn this waterway in the direction of Leeds Bridge
Wikipedia has a page about Foulridge Tunnel
Foulridge (pronounced FOHL-rij) is a small village and civil parish in Pendle, Lancashire, close to the border with North Yorkshire in England. It is situated just beyond Colne, on the route from the M65 to Skipton, and is an important stopping point on summit pound of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, just before it enters the Foulridge Tunnel. Noyna Hill, a well known local landmark, sits 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the village.
Foulridge adjoins the Pendle parishes of Salterforth, Kelbrook and Sough, Laneshaw Bridge, Colne and Blacko.
Foulridge was once a township in the ancient parish of Whalley. This became a civil parish in 1866, forming part of the Burnley Rural District from 1894 (until 1974). A detached area of the old township to the east around Barnside and Monkhall, moved to Colne in 1935.
An old tale is of a cow falling into the canal at one end then passing through the tunnel before rescue. It is said it was taken to the nearby pub and revived with a drink. There is also a large reservoir that feeds the canal and boating takes place on here. Barge trips are also available on the canal.
Foulridge has been part of Lancashire since the Middle Ages and was about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from the boundary of the old West Riding of Yorkshire. With the creation of the Borough of Pendle in 1974 parts of Yorkshire, including Earby and Barnoldswick, were transferred to Lancashire, and Foulridge moved further away from the White Rose county. There is an old village sign which used to mark the boundary with Yorkshire which has been affixed to the village hall in the centre of Foulridge. There is a large reservoir in the village which feeds the canal and which in turn is fed from other smaller reservoirs around the village.
Foulridge also had its own railway station, which closed in 1959.
According to the United Kingdom Census 2011, the parish has a population of 1,503, a decrease from 1,506 in the 2001 census.
- Burwain Sailing Club
Reedymoor Lane, Colne, BB8 7LJ — 690 yards to the northeast.
- Hillside Jumping Course
Hillside Farm, Beverley Road, Blacko, Nelson, BB9 6LX — 1332 yards to the west.
- Colne FC Academy
Harrison Drive, Colne, BB89SF — 1416 yards to the southeast.
- Pavilion Cafe at Alkincoats Park (Coffee Shop, Fast Food Restaurant)
Alkincoats Park, Colne, BB8 9QQ — 1543 yards to the southeast.
- Cross Gaits Inn
Beverley Road, Blacko, Nelson, BB9 6RF — 984 yards to the west.
- Blakey Hall Farm (Hotel)
Red Lane, Colne, BB89TD — 983 yards to the south.
- County Councillor Joe Cooney
85 Alkincoats Road, Colne, BB8 9QQ — 1528 yards to the southeast.
- Stainthwaite Boarding Kennels
Barnoldswick ROAD, Blacko, BB9 6RE — 697 yards to the west.
- Colne and Nelson Rugby Club (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue, Pub)
Holt House, Harrison Drive, Colne, BB8 9SF — 1158 yards to the southeast.
- Colne and Nelson RUFC Women's Section (Sports & Recreation)
Colne, BB8 9SF — 1307 yards to the southeast.
- Philip Wright Crown Green Bowling Academy
Alkincoats Park, Colne, BB8 9QQ — 1483 yards to the southeast.
- Alkincoats Park (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
Alkincoats Road, Colne, BB8 9 — 1369 yards to the southeast.
- 5 Little Boys Photography
Hobstones Barn, Smithy Lane, Colne, BB8 7LZ — 752 yards to the east.
- Swim Lake Burwain
Reedymoor lane, Colne, BB8 7LJ — 893 yards to the northeast.
- Colne F.C. (Landmark & Historical Place, Sports Team)
Colne — 1328 yards to the southeast.
- Sacred Heart RC Primary
Colne — 1596 yards to the east.
- Friends of Alkincoats park
Alkincoats Road, Colne, BB8 9 — 1627 yards to the southeast.
- Burnley Tornados American Football Club
Harrison Drive, Colne, BB8 9SF — 1428 yards to the southeast.
- Colne Gala (Community Organization)
Holt House, Harrison Dr, Colne, BB8 9SF — 1330 yards to the southeast.