What Changed in July 2009
Saturday 4 July 2009 [continued]
- Fixed a bug in the locale code when it was setting units for dimensions
- Gazetteer now tells you if a place is a lock, with the rise if known.
- Made completely empty Wikipedia searches return an empty lookup and hence no plugin box
- Fixed a bug I'd introduced in an earlier patch to stop web crawlers trying to edit places, which prevented any editing at all!
- Extended edit-place to cope with locks
Sunday 5 July 2009
- Prevented a blank gazetteer layout option getting added when a new plugin appears - stopping the gazetteer short
- Added historical event to home page
- Restored photos and maps which had been turned off during debugging!
- Slightly improved spacing around plugins, but it needs some more work.
- Prevented it generating unreadable (by me!) deeleygrams by adding a chmod
- Added a better message when lock rise is "unknown"
- Another(!) tweak to getting the dimensions set properly which was breaking edit_details
- Minor spacing tweak in lock rise description
- Used new editing to fix the Southern Stratford Canal which was missing 3 locks.
- Wrote synchronisation code to use generated ids written to log files since version 9.3.16
- Votes are now logged for synchronisation purposes
- Gave a transparent background to a number of menu icons
- Made it cope with people with iPhones pressing "Go" - which doesn't activate any of the submit buttons!
- Added facility for help information in plugins, and wrote basic help for voting
- User editing (by mouseover) didn't work if maps had been turned off!
- Gazetteer items which had been turned off were vanishing on save. This led to plugins being re-added and non-plugins vanishing forever.
- Got "reset to defaults" working properly for options - useful if you've lost something vital by the above bug!
- Added an embedded wiki for user comments about mooring to the mooring plugin.
- Renamed the plugin from "star rating" to "mooring" - as it's much more about that
→ Release 9.3.19
- Added half a dozen new places submitted to version 8
Monday 6 July 2009
- A tweak to the vote synchroniser. I'm not entirely sure that my short-cut idea here will work, but will persist for a while
- When you add a place it takes you straight into the "edit details" screen - to encourage marking the fact that it's a bridge, for example
- Made this wiki get uploaded, so you can actually read this stuff!
- Added session info to error emails so I can track down a couple of rare but recurring errors
Tuesday 7 July 2009
- Fixed advert configuration system - needed a new directory with the appropriate variables in it
→ Release 188.8.131.52
to Sunday 11 July 2009
- Added new link macros for use with url re-writing
- Enhanced checking for background processor - will now restart if there is a lock file but no matching process
- State of changeline gets carried correctly into detail editing scheme
- Detail editing writes the right code for changeline
- Improved the W&B while doing this
- The combination of removing unicode escaping, percent encoded URL characters and hexadecimal entity encoding in google results (in the plugin) still wasn't working. Wrote a new language feature to transform the values within a lookup: this turned out to be surprisingly complicated - I ended up adding nearly 100 lines of C, and severely re-arranging another chunk to let me call what had been parts of a single function. Still, it seems to be working now! → Release 9.3.20
- Improved advert saving and configuration
→ Release 184.108.40.206
- Removed a fair amount of white space from the ClearSilver macros. I can't get the built-in space stripper to work.
to Tuesday 4 August 2009
- Restored a pile of plugins that had mysteriously got turned off
- Fixed a bug in editing moorings (actually in wiki code generally) that truncated at first comma
- Fixed a bug in patch-links that meant a number of home-page links became "undefined" if you weren't logged in
- Added basic geocoding to "add isolated place" - will be a big help in adding more of Europe
- While on holiday added a lot of internationalisation and locale stuff to the source - all there and nearly ready to start doing things (expands on previous work to make default units appropriate to waterway)
- Tweaked K&A distances
- Changed URL tweaking in login to make it work better with remapped URLs
- Got login to work for route planning page. Most mysterious: did this ever work?
→ Release 9.3.21
Wednesday 5 August 2009
- Lots of tweaks to local end of synchronisation code
- Added lots of French waterays (and a bit of Belgium)
- Restructured these waterways using new feature described above
- Restored automatic (locale-based) selection of distance units (km or m/f) - broken when I changed the locale structure in the work described above
→ Release 9.3.22
Saturday 8 August
- A few more tweaks as I continued to add data
- Over last few days, added a lot more of France, and sneaked into Germany as well
- Index page now reports more statistics (number of waterways, and total distance) - we're at 6001 miles at the moment.
- Improved code to output different versions of place names, to make sure alternatives were shown more often
- Modification to place table hashing (first added June 2003) to cope with multi-lingual place names. At present there is no way to add these execpt by directly into the database. That's next!
Sunday 9 August
- Tweak to background processor which should cause it to release memory better → Release 9.3.23