What Changed in January 2011
Saturday 1 January 2011
- Fixed a bug where loading rings was broken (changes I'd introduced for the POI work broke it - I'd overlooked a consequences of using the "overlay" field for two different purposes at different times). I'd never realised just how popular load ring was!
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Forgetting which language I was writing in caused a comment to appear in the placefinder output
- Made an empty "quickroute=yes" call produce an entry screen rather than an error
→ Release 184.108.40.206
- (pre-release) Tweak to prevent links to POI map pages breaking when url rewriting was taking place
Monday 3 January 2011
- Added code to the "match" function to prevent database locking when one person is editing and another typing
→ Release 220.127.116.11
Please note, the cost of using CanalPlanAC will go up by 2.5% at midnight. That's because it's your fault that the world economy is in a mess (unless you got a huge bonus for bankrupting one of our banks of course, then it's not your fault at all and thank you for your donation).
Saturday 8 January 2011
- Fixed issues 281 & 292 - I needed to wrap more of the output in CDATA sections to avoid problems with places with '&'s in their names, otherwise export failed.
→ Release 18.104.22.168
To Saturday 15 January 2011
- Added (still somewhat limited) MYSQL support to the scripting language in parallel with SQLITE
- Added a basic stats capture using this (far too many concurrent writes for SQLITE to cope)
- Added a basic statistics display for places
- Fixed a bug where totals of types of locks were often too low (issue 294) - pre-release
- Removed gibberish message from gazetteers about no POI in range (issue 289)
→ Release 9.12
- Improved stats slightly (pre-release) with totals and an index on the table
- Added a daily purge for downloads more than a week old
- Fixed a bug I'd introduced in reworking the SQL code - this caused some fetches of data to crash
- Adjusted build so that utilities compiled with mysql present
→ Release 9.12.1
- Began work on an improved cgi-script generator to allow for variable time-outs for different programs and for telling misbehaving bots to go away.
Sunday 16 January 2011
- Fixed another small buglet in the SQL reworking - this caused second page of photo displays to fail
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Got "remember me" feature in log in working, I hope. It certainly seems to be doing OK here. Fixes issue issue 287
- Removed repeat of place name from the local linear map on gazetteer pages
- Daily tidyup removes "isolated places" that have not been converted into real ones and are more than a couple of days old (part of issue 291)
- A pile of adjustments to create isolated place to catch common mistakes (more of issue 291)
- Tracked down why locks weren't always reversing, but didn't add a work-around for it yet
- Adjusted background processor to make it work as it was meant to. It was not speeding up when things were happening and with the amount of editing going on at the moment this meant that you sometimes had to wait minutes to see your changes.
→ Release 9.12.2
- Fixed a bug where a very small number of places couldn't have their place markers moved (and it might have had other implications as well). These are places with an ID that was entirely numeric and started with a zero. Mode Wheel Locks was the demonstration place.
Monday 17 January 2011
- Fixed a bug where pressing enter in "Try this" after giving an incorrect dollar-prefixed ID caused the general input page to appear, not a repeat of the "not a valid ID" page. I suspect I'm the only person this affected, but it was irritating me!
- Improved the display for lock flights in placefinder
- (pre-release) Another fix for malformed URLs from the MSN bot. And it really is MSN - I've checked the IP. Positively cretinous.
Tuesday 18 January 2011
- Displayed the reason a photo had been deleted when a deleted photo is displayed
- Added the ability to browse the list of deleted photos
- Added a "right" to users to act on deleted photos, and made a menu display for a deleted photo. At the moment I'm the only person with it.
- Added the ability to restore or delete permanently deleted photos to users with that right. If it belongs somewhere else, first restore it, then move it.
Together these satisfy - and a bit more - issue 71 (quite an old one, of mine!).
- Fixed bug in not spotting when rings wouldn't plan correctly (issue 259)
Thursday 20 January 2011
- Changed code so that you view a newly added marker place rather than the place you were at before adding it (fixes issue 288).
- Fixed a bug where replacing a CanalPlan ID in a route didn't work (probably never affected anyone!)
- Added a check for excess matches (currently set at 100) - people typing silly things in (like 'bri' - which matches every bridge in the database!) were causing time-outs. Testing this found the bug above!
- Fixed a bug where deleted photos never displayed when viewing a user's photos (and I got sent a bug report silently in the background)
Friday 21 January 2011
- Tweaked quicksearch so that a strange situation some search engines managed to produce could be dealt with tidily
- Added a totals line to the table and graph on the statistics page
→ Release 9.12.3
Saturday 22 January 2011
- When a marker place is added the edit details screen isn't shown (fixes issue 301)
- A sensible message instead of an error about the message is displayed when the start date is after the end date
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- A lot of tweaking and adjusting the rpx (log in using other account) stuff. I think it's all working now, in which case issue 265 is sorted (both the bugs reported in their were symptoms of the same problems).
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Removed site totals from place statistics as they were expensive queries.
- New code to allow you to edit, or add a new, cruising ring - including testing for practicality before you save it.
→ Release 9.12.4
Sunday 22 January 2011
- Made Google Maps in the Gazetteer resizeable just by dragging a handle using PResizeControl.
- And the waterway gazetteer
- Fixed a stupid bug I'd introduced yesterday which broke adding isolated places
→ Release 9.12.5
- Added a title and breadcrumbs to move photo - partly in response to issue 180.
- Added a fix to gazetteer setup that meant that sometimes some click-to-edit things weren't
- Changed the display of the mooring box slightly to address issue 24
- Fixed an unreported bug where if you searched for one-way furthest places and then added a finish place to make them two ways it complained that they were different (because one had been converted to an ID and the new one was still text at the point of comparison)
- Fixed various problems with embedded quotes in place names that could have been used for nasty things, but so far had just been breaking things (reported in issue 307)
- A lot of work in persuit of issue 260 - showing help on where to wind in the "furthest place" output, but not quite fit for release and I'm rushing this out because of the previous bug.
- In doing this, fixed a couple of small display and number errors in the furthest place output
→ Release 9.12.6