What Changed in January 2010
Saturday 2 January 2010
- Removed "see on full size map" from map at top of waterway gazetteers
- Added "interwiki" quick link to issues - mainly for me in these pages, but could be useful as I extend the documentation (as suggested in Issue 76).
- Added place name and waterway to caption shown when hovering over photo on index page. For the future - make this a floating div with some styling
- Fixed highlighting when moving cursor over menus (lost when spacing fixed in previous release)
- Added a general "Index and help" button to the menus, and started wiki-based help pages
- Changed default font for wiki pages (to Verdana - a Sans Serif font). Consider for whole site
Sunday 3 January 2010
- Fixed issue 75:button to copy first place doesn't work
- Missing wiki pages now give errors
- Continue after a virtual cruise of a waterway now works
- Fixed issue 82:higher level maps don't show in waterway gazetteer - produced a warning message if there genuinely isn't a polyline and regeneration has been triggered, but made this only happen in the right circumstances and restored the production of multiple polylines for high level waterways
- Fixed issue 80: trying to move some places crashed the program. This turned out to be trivial, the special case was being checked for, but the function needed to return some dummy data to satisfy the programming language. While doing this I tidied up the error message that is generated in these circumstances.
- Fixed faulty polylines (issue 32) - it was an escaping problem. Regenerated all appropriate polylines.
→Release 9.7.13 - just scrapes in as a "more than bugfix" release
- Adopted sans-serif throughout the site
Monday 4 January 2010
- Started documentation of how to edit data in gazetteer
Tuesday 5 January 2010
- If an edit is rejected (a place name already exists) the page is restored to its original condition (up to now it had the wrong place name shown in the title). I know now why I hadn't done it - it requires passing a pile of information through a long chain of functions, including an asynchronous one.
- Added much more sophisticated tool-tips for the mini photos on the home page. Used Walter Zorn's library for the purpose. Nothing too sophisticated at the moment, but line breaks makes them a lot better. Fixes (and more) issue 85 about missing spaces in the text.
- Removed fixed height, and border, from the new photo thumbnails on the home page. Works better when they wrap. Issue 88 fixed.
Wednesday 6 January 2010
- Tweaked the new tool-tips on the mini photos (added some italics and bold)
→ release 9.7.14
Saturday 9 January 2010
- Changed creation of mini photos on index page so that hover caption only applies to the photo, not the whole DIV. Remarkably difficult - involved changing from generating a bit of inline HTML to a whole tree of createElement etc calls. But much tidier.
- Added a geographical lookup for people on location aware browsers (which means Firefox 3.5 at the moment).
- Fixed (ahead of release) issue 84 - The Old West River was erroneously classified as a "seaway"
→ Release 9.7.15 *ADDS* Geographical lookup (go to "places" from home page in suitable browser to see it)
- When I updated the place gazetteer for the previous work I forgot the same page generates the blank waterways gazetteeer as well. Added necessary information to template configuration to restore the otherwise broken page [pre-release]
- Fixed a bug introduced in the last release where the links from the index page to photos fail (I'd put "ud" instead of "id" in the link). [pre-release]
Sunday 10 January 2010
- Removed a lot of internal information from error dumps on live versions - they only confuse the user and conceivably could help a cracker
- Improved the debug display on the development system
- Added quite a chunk of Ireland
Sunday 17 January 2010
- Added an "add photo" option for the "photos" page (a natural place to look for it)
- Removed stray empty lines at the top of the photo display page HTML
- Added a "wait" message while selectors do their AJAX bit - better than a minute box if the network is a bit slow
→ Release 9.7.16
Monday 18 January 2010
- Fixed incomplete photos appearing in a user's photo display [pre-release]
Tuesday 19 January 2010
- Prevented places being added to the database with leading or trailing spaces. Corrected three such places [database fixes pre-release].
- Changed name matching code to work in route planning even when names in database are not in canonical form
- Fixed a bug in previous release that broke add-photo in gazetteer [pre-release]
Wednesday 20 January 2010
- Reversed the order of changes in the "list of new things from users" and added a short introduction saying so
- Fixes to pointer appearance in add photo were blowing up addition sometimes! Removed for the short-term [pre-release] and fixed properly.
Saturday 23 January 2010
- Improved place matching, putting close edit-distance changes into the first group of hits. So "Rolf Bridge" now comes back with "Rolfe Bridge", and all the places starting "Fazeley" come back in response to "Frazeley".
- Added a return button to "reorganise waterways"
- Added error messages for missing gauges (issue 91)
→ Release 9.7.17