What Changed in February and March 2013
To Saturday 27 January 2013
- Enhancements to linear graphic code to allow for more flexibility depending on towpaths. As proof of concept improved underbridges/small aqueducts
- A small tweak to hyphenation of photo contributors' names on the index page
- After editing (or cancelling an edit) photo data you are returned properly to a feature page
Sunday 28 January 2013
- Added "also" to list of additional places in feature, and removed text when there aren't any (issue 683).
- Reset distances in feature at start and end of feature (no-one had a better idea).
- Added a (not particularly brilliant) symbol for a boat-lift - no one else had come up with a better one.
- Lifts appear as features in gazetteer pages for their ends
Monday 28 January 2013
- Normal overbridges got treatment for different towpaths (avoids them sticking out too far)
- And foot bridges
Sunday 10 February 2013
- Check for GPSBabel at build time
- New code for index page selection (invisible to users - helps with adverts)
→ Release 9.19.4
- Fixed the "adjust overnight stops" for route tables as pointed out in the really quite beastly issue 666.
- Added navigational notes and "having passed through" to route tables
- Added extra place info to route tables
- Fixed never reported bug where you couldn't turn off extra place info
- Fixed never reported bug where the "have a photo" icon by the left hand column in a route table related to the second place.
→ Release 9.19.5
- Added page of waterways quotations - allows people (and search engines) to browse the collection
→ Release 9.19.6
Saturday 16 February 2013
- A couple of tweaks to the quotations
- Added a page of waterways historic events - same idea as the quotations: take stuff out of the databases and put it out for general consumption
- A few tweaks around adverts
→ Release 9.19.7
- Rewrote Gazetteer map to use the maps v3 API - needed for future supportability. No dramatic changes as far as users are concerned (I hope!).
Sunday 17 February 2013
- Added map-based adverts to Gazetteer: they don't seem particularly local to the place when testing here, but we'll see
- Rewrote nearby places map for placefinder. I think the new one looks a bit better actually (it should, considering how painful it was!). I've got until 19 May to rewrite all the maps - there are still waterways gazetteer, add new places and the major edit code (plus possibly something on POIs) to convert by then.
→ Release 9.19.8
- Fixed bug where some places didn't work in "nearby places" for placefinder - they broke the map.
- Added extra place info to info windows on the nearby places map: this was given to the map but never used
→ Release 220.127.116.11
- Most websites put the site name at the end of the title not the beginning. CanalPlanAC now does the same.
- Added new effect when you mouse-over overlapping points on the nearby places map
Monday 18 February 2013
- A tweak to the automatic bug reporting so if someone (how?) manages to get it to time-out with no data I'll get a proper report.
Tuesday 19 February 2013
- Several changes to the new gazetteer map page to do with automatic fetching of places when zoomed and scrolled
- Added work-around for strange Google Maps v3/later Firefox versions combined bug of map status never finishing loading
- Adverts added to photo pages to match others
→ Release 9.19.9
Wednesday 20 February 2013
- Added coping with stopping status of "first night" (issue 695).
Saturday 23 February 2013
- Restored automatic switching to gazetteer options when appropriate
- Default map size is now "medium" - issue 87
- Started work on rewriting waterway maps to version 3. Along the way I got place names working - the code was there but never functioned
- More stuff to prevent overzealous spiders causing bug reports
to Saturday 9 March 2013
- Finished waterways maps. What a slog! However they do now have names on, and I've extracted some common code from the gazetteer and waterways maps into a little library that should help with other maps in the future.
→ Release 9.19.10
- Home mooring on options page now only validates when you leave the tab or save options (which is a round-the-houses ways of solving the main part of issue 692).
- Fixed issue 701 buglet introduced when I reorganised the map code - it caused the gazetteer place to have two labels.
- Fixed a really rather serious bug with saving options - reported as part of issue 692 but much more pervasive than this and reported as such in issue 685.
A lot of coding to call it a bugfix release, but nothing actually new!
→ Release 18.104.22.168
- Made the width of waterways on the waterways map scale with the map (issue 86).
To Saturday 16 March 2012
- Work to port and enhance maps for adding places
- Maps are resizeable
- Can add multiple marker places
- Adding marker places shows a line as you do it
This just leaves virtual cruise and (perhaps) a places of interest page that I'm not sure is ever used to be ported to version 3 maps before May.
- Some nifty .htaccess code to only serve "normal" photos when people embed big ones in forum posts and similar. We reserve the right to go to thumbnails, or even just block, at some stage if the bandwidth leeching gets excessive again.
- Sessions had been lost from quicksearch - this had the result of logging people out unexpectedly. I thought there was an issue for this but can't find it.
- Fixed links from "your nearest place" on the empty gazetteer page
- Some improved error logging for the background processor
→ Release 9.19.11
- Fixed (pre-release) issue 702 - the cumulative locks field in CSV output was a duplicate of the link locks. All the sums were right, it was just the field definition that had an error in it.
- Improvements to HTML of route tables. Aim was to fix issue 703 but along the way I removed a lot of blank lines and a spacing error.
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Small tweak to lock/bridge graphics to finish the final point of issue 441.
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Fixed bug where multiple marker place addition tended not to work.
→ Release 188.8.131.52