What Changed in November 2008
Saturday 1 November 2008
- Going to places from quick search on home page doesn't produce a page of HTML
- Distance options (miles, km etc) are now listened to instead of always being miles and furlongs
- Right index page now generated for 1 November (rounding error in date validation code)
- Basic itineraries added
- Added facility for icons and tooltips to buttons in button bar at bottom of pages.
- Added such buttons and tips to pretty well everything. This is a good example of how much easier it is to work on this version - it only involved a change to one template file and one configuration file (plus finding a few new icons!).
- Made "reset to defaults" work for options
- Added new options to show only some parts of route output
- Added turns to itinerary
Sunday 2 November 2008
- Quick hack to allow internal links with the new wiki parser - but still needs work (contact developer?)
- Fixed bug where displaying empty pages looped forever
- Fixed wiki to allow editing of non-existant pages
- Re-organised the "what's new pages" slightly
- Basic drop-down menu editing functionality on main planner page
- Floating boxes rather than table on main planner - should be better for different browser sizes
- Session passed from gazetteer to planner
- Wonky URL for first place drop-down icon fixed
Thursday 6 November 2008
Core code for adding places built - working off a small database of those changes that have been made over the past however many years. This is the bit of code that updates all the place and link databases with the new place and keeps a log so that it can be undone if found to be faulty. This works really well - it's quite astonishing the first few times when you add a new place and it instantly is available to the drop down place selector and appears in the gazetteer. The next step is to add the "moderation" (it's a form of retro-moderation) for these. Then the backlog can be added and moderated (there is, I'm afraid to say, a lot of good-intentioned rubbish in there), and then a front-end for the new system (but clearly made almost entirely of the old code) added.
Friday 7 November 2008
New places are now listed in the moderation display.
Saturday 8 November 2008
- Review changes link shown only for users with "moderator" status
- And moderation script will only run for them
- Can now accept changes as well (but not anything else!)
- Half a dozen new places now live in the database as a result of testing
- New "simple" wiki mode added for things that can't include markup
- Place names can be edited
Sunday 9 November 2008
- New photo mode for gazetteer to show all photos in-line
- Editing of photo captions from this mode
- Support for photo caption changes in moderation
Wednesday 12 November 2008
- Size of place added to gazetteer information
- Size of place field made editable
At this stage I sort of got distracted from updating this file - so a lot of improvements never got written down!