Barton Swing Aqueduct
There is a small aqueduct or underbridge here which takes a canal under the canal.
|Ashburton Road Pipebridge||2¼ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Bridge||2 furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gag"||1¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gah"||1¼ furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gai"||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Swing Aqueduct|
|Barton Lane Underbridge No 46A||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Yard||1 furlong|
|Marker place "!3gaj"||1 furlong|
|Marker place "!3gak"||1¼ furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gal"||1½ furlongs|
Out of Manchester from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Saturday the 11th of April, 2009
Where it all began from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Tuesday the 7th of April, 2009
In to Wigan from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Sunday the 6th of July, 1980
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-outTravel to Stretford - Waters Meeting, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Stretford Marina
Wikipedia has a page about Barton Swing Aqueduct
The Barton Swing Aqueduct is a moveable navigable aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England. It carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal. The swinging action allows large vessels using the ship canal to pass underneath and smaller craft, both narrowboats and broad-beam barges to cross over the top. The aqueduct, the first and only swing aqueduct in the world, is a Grade II* listed building, and considered a major feat of Victorian civil engineering. Designed by Sir Edward Leader Williams and built by Andrew Handyside and Company of Derby, the swing bridge opened in 1894 and remains in regular use.
- Castle in the Air - JD Wetherspoon (Gastropub)
951 yards to the southwest.
- The Coach House (Pub, Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant)
1237 yards to the south.
- Apple Trafford Centre (Computer Repair Service)
1153 yards to the south.
- Tampopo, The Trafford Centre (Indian Restaurant)
1288 yards to the south.
- ChaoBaby Trafford Centre (Buffet Restaurant, Cafe)
1199 yards to the south.
- EventCity (Official Page) (Convention Center, Event Planner)
1397 yards to the southeast.
- Zizzi (Pizza Place, Fast Food Restaurant)
1156 yards to the south.
- PizzaExpress (Pizza Place, Fast Food Restaurant)
1089 yards to the south.
- Pesto - the Trafford Centre (Shopping Mall)
1097 yards to the south.
- Carluccio's (Family Style Restaurant, Cafe)
1248 yards to the south.
- Barton Road Swing Bridge (Government Building, Bridge)
86 yards to the west.
- intu Trafford Centre (Shopping Mall)
1161 yards to the south.
- Bill's Trafford Centre (Shopping Mall)
1078 yards to the south.
- Sparkles hair, nails and beauty (Hair Salon, Professional Service)
658 yards to the north.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Centre Manchester (Toy Store, Playground)
1228 yards to the southeast.
- Barton Swing Aqueduct (Landmark & Historical Place)
15 yards to the east.
- Chill Factore (Sports Club)
1012 yards to the southwest.
- Rockhouse Hotel (Pub)
297 yards to the west.
- Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre North (Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant)
580 yards to the south.
- Elite:Manchester (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1561 yards to the east.
- David Lloyd Clubs (Tennis Stadium, Public Swimming Pool)
807 yards to the southwest.
- intu Trafford Centre (Department Store)
1148 yards to the south.
- Intu Trafford Centre-Regent Crescent (Fast Food Restaurant)
1210 yards to the south.
- Giraffe - Manchester Trafford (Latin American Restaurant)
1161 yards to the south.