Braunston Tunnel (West end)
|Braunston Top Lock Visitor Moorings||1¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!7jrv"||1½ furlongs|
|Marker place "!7jrw"||1 furlong|
|Marker place "!7jrx"||¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!7jry"||a few yards|
|Braunston Tunnel (West end)|
|Braunston Tunnel (East end)||1 mile, 1¼ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf Bridge No 6||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf||1 mile, 3 furlongs|
|Marker place "!1y5v"||1 mile, 3½ furlongs|
|Marker place "!6qaz"||1 mile, 3¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL - a highway laid with water.
- An account of the Grand Junction Canal, 1792 - 1928, with a postscript. By Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin.
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Braunston Tunnel
Braunston Tunnel is on the Grand Union Canal about 830 yds (760 m) east of Braunston, Northamptonshire, England top lock. It is in the northern outskirts of Daventry, about 2 km east of the village of Braunston.
Braunston Tunnel is 2,042 yards (1,867 m) in length. Built by Jessop and Barnes, the tunnel has no towpath and is 4.8m wide by 3.76m high.
It was opened in 1796. Its construction was delayed by soil movement and it was probably the resulting movement that led to the tunnel having a slight 'S' bend. There is room for two 7 ft (2.13 m) beam boats to pass. There are three air shafts along its length.
The tunnel passes underground alongside another Grand Union Canal feature, Drayton Reservoir, from which the feeder enters the canal at the east end of the tunnel.
- Dexcel Pharma (Business Service, Chemical Company)
1494 yards to the southeast.
- The Admiral Nelson (Beer Garden, British Restaurant)
1021 yards to the northwest.
- The Kings Fee - JD Wetherspoon (Restaurant)
116987 yards to the west.
- Vil Display Services Limited (Wholesale & Supply Store, Caterer)
1500 yards to the south.
- Kanflu Ltd - Hydraulic and Pneumatic Specialists (Professional Service)
1592 yards to the south.
- Biesse group UK Ltd (Furniture Store)
1357 yards to the south.
- Peter Gwynne Motorsport (Race Track, Doctor)
982 yards to the east.
- Red Arch Manufacturing Limited (Commercial & Industrial Equipment Supplier, Seafood Restaurant)
1153 yards to the northwest.
- Braunston Fryer (Fish & Chips Restaurant, Grocery Store)
1138 yards to the west.
- Greenman Services (Landscape Company, Garden Center)
1464 yards to the northwest.
- Simms Recycling, Daventry (Professional Service)
1156 yards to the south.
- Silvertime Jewellery (Jewelry Wholesaler)
232 yards to the northeast.
- Bragborough Hall Holidays (Cottage, Hotel)
1050 yards to the northeast.
- Bragborough Beef (Butcher Shop, Grocery Store)
715 yards to the north.
- Rugby and Daventry Sailing Club (Sports Club, Boat Rental)
1322 yards to the southeast.
- Home Farm Events Ltd (Caterer, Party Entertainment Service)
1076 yards to the west.
- MPP Photography (Arts & Entertainment)
874 yards to the southeast.
- Kip Warehouse (Business Service, TutorTeacher)
1545 yards to the south.
- Braunston Tunnel (Business Service)
942 yards to the east.
- Drayton Reservoir (Lake, Reservoir)
1356 yards to the southeast.
- Lifting Equipment Supplies Daventry (Medical Lab, Construction Company)
1522 yards to the south.
- Hankook Tyre UK (Business Service)
1132 yards to the south.
- A-Zphotos (Photographer)
895 yards to the southeast.
- Astin Point Management Limited (Financial Service, Publisher)
1576 yards to the south.
- Middlemore (City, Region)
19981292 yards to the north.
- Union Canal Carriers (Sports & Recreation, Arts & Entertainment)
1267 yards to the northwest.
- Braunston (Preschool, Interest)
1617 yards to the northwest.
- Catering Design Group Limited (Interior Design Studio)
1517 yards to the southeast.
- Lila Logistics Limited (Publisher, Storage Facility)
1448 yards to the southeast.