Saltford Lock No 4
This is a lock with a rise of 3f10.
|Marker place "!6e61"||3½ furlongs|
|Marker place "!6e60"||3 furlongs|
|Marker place "!6e6z"||2¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!6e6u"||1¼ furlongs|
|Saltford Lock Weir Entrance||¼ furlongs|
|Saltford Lock No 4|
|Marker place "!6fca"||¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!6fc9"||1¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!6e68"||2 furlongs|
|Marker place "!6e67"||2¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!6e66"||3¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to River Avon Junction, then on the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line) to Bradford and Frome Road Wharves
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outTravel to River Avon Junction, then on the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line) to Somerset Coal Canal Junction Travel to River Avon Junction, then on the Kennet and Avon Canal (Main Line) to Bradford and Frome Road Wharves
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
Wikipedia has a page about Saltford Lock
Saltford Lock is a canal lock situated on the River Avon, at the village of Saltford, between Bristol and Bath, England.
The Bristol Avon Navigation, which runs the 15 miles (24 km) from the Kennet and Avon Canal at Hanham Lock to the Bristol Channel at Avonmouth, was constructed between 1724 and 1727, following legislation passed by Queen Anne, by a company of proprietors and the engineer John Hore of Newbury. The first cargo of 'Deal boards, Pig-Lead and Meal' arrived in Bath in December 1727. The navigation is now administered by the Canal & River Trust.
The lock and weir are overlooked by the remains of the Kelston Brass Mill, which was working until 1925. It is a grade II listed building. Alongside the lock is the Jolly Sailor pub, whose garden extends over the lock to the small island between the lock and weir. The lock was opened in 1727 and destroyed in 1738 (probably by rival coal dealers) to stop the use of the river for transportation. The pub was built in 1726 for the bargees, when the navigation opened. The wooden fireplace has holes made by hot pokers which newly promoted captains of the barges.
- Bristol And Bath Firewood (Shopping & Retail, Home Improvement)
1460 yards to the north.
- Skyscraper Music (Business Service)
751 yards to the northeast.
- The Jolly Sailor (Gastropub, Fast Food Restaurant)
8 yards to the northwest.
- The Old Crown (British Restaurant)
1121 yards to the southeast.
- Clarks Of Bristol Motor Company (Professional Service)
693 yards to the west.
- Pepper Bells Glamping (Hotel & Lodging)
1460 yards to the north.
- Bird in Hand (Gastropub, Pub)
799 yards to the southwest.
- The Riverside Inn (Steakhouse, Bed and Breakfast)
1184 yards to the southwest.
- The Swan (Pub)
1276 yards to the north.
- The Crown in Saltford (Bar)
1436 yards to the southwest.