Poplar Street Bridge
There is a bridge here which takes a minor road over the canal.
|Old Church Street Bridge||4 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Lock No 69||4 furlongs|
|Droylsden Road Bridge||3 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Footbridge||2 furlongs|
|Tannersfield Lowest Lock No 68||½ furlongs|
|Poplar Street Bridge|
|Tannersfield Middle Lock No 67||¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Footbridge||1¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Highest Lock No 66||1½ furlongs|
|Back Lane Bridge||3¼ furlongs|
|Sisson Street Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water pointOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to Castlefield Junction, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Potato Wharf Arm
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Poplar Street Bridge
The Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge, formerly known as the Bernard F. Dickmann Bridge and popularly as the Poplar Street Bridge or PSB, completed in 1967, is a 647-foot-long (197 m) deck girder bridge across the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. The bridge arrives on the Missouri shore line just south of the Gateway Arch.
Planned just before construction of the Arch, the builders in 1959 were to request that 25 acres (10 ha) of the Gateway Arch property be turned over from the National Park Service for the bridge. The request generated enormous controversy and ultimately 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) of the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial (which included all of the original platted area of St. Louis when it was acquired in the 1930s and 1940s) was given to the bridge.
Two Interstates and a U.S. Highway cross the entire bridge. Approximately 100,000 vehicles daily cross the bridge daily, making it the second most heavily used bridge on the river, after the I-94 Dartmouth Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Some of that load has been diverted to the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
Interstate 55 (I-55), I-64 and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) cross the Mississippi on the Poplar Street Bridge. US 66 also ran concurrently over this bridge until 1979, and US 50 was routed over it before the Interstates were constructed. In addition, I-70 crossed the river here until 2014, when it was realigned to cross the river on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge when it was completed. I-44 now follows the old alignment of I-70 through downtown to the west approach for the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge although motorists traveling east on I-44 must continue west on I-70 and do not have a direct connection to the bridge. The traffic was heavily congested until the opening of the new bridge in early February 2014. In 2012, 123,564 vehicles used it every day, but after the new bridge opened, congestion alleviated by almost 14%, less than the predicted 20% decline with 106,500 vehicles using it every day because total traffic across the river from all bridges increased by 7.4% over 2013 levels.
The east end of the bridge crosses the south end of what was Bloody Island which Robert E. Lee connected to the mainland of Illinois with landfill in the 1850s. During its island days several Missouri politicians fought duels there. What was Bloody Island is now a train yard.
Although the bridge's former name honors former St. Louis mayor Bernard F. Dickmann, it is most commonly referred to as the Poplar Street Bridge, with many locals unaware of its official name. The Missouri end of the bridge sits over Poplar Street, and the media started referring to it by that name long before the bridge opened. It was officially renamed as the Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge in October 2013 in honor of Bill Clay.
- The Church Inn (Performance & Event Venue, Local Service)
385 yards to the southwest.
- Lamb Inn (Arts & Entertainment)
266 yards to the northwest.
- Newton Heath Working Mens Club (Social Club, Arts & Entertainment)
763 yards to the southwest.
- The New Crown Inn (Beer Bar)
858 yards to the west.
- Red Spot Cafe LTD (Seafood Restaurant, Fast Food Restaurant)
708 yards to the west.
- Shampers Hairdressing (Professional Service)
973 yards to the east.
- Room35 Hair & Beauty (Nail Salon, Makeup Artist)
1137 yards to the east.
- Brookdale Park (Landmark & Historical Place, Environmental Conservation Organization)
628 yards to the south.
- The Windmill (British Restaurant, Pub)
1055 yards to the southeast.
- Aspinallbjj Manchester (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
1017 yards to the south.
- Millstream Animal Shelter (Pet Service, Nonprofit Organization)
1267 yards to the southeast.
- Desi lounge restaurant (Indian Restaurant)
514 yards to the northeast.
- The Millgate Pub (Pub, British Restaurant)
954 yards to the northeast.
- AMC Furniture Clearance Outlet (Home Goods Store, Home Decor)
1551 yards to the northeast.
- Failsworth Home Guard (Sports Club, Social Club)
33 yards to the west.
- Jo's flower creations (Florist)
991 yards to the south.
- ROQ Customs (Automotive Body Shop, Automotive Customization Shop)
767 yards to the northeast.
- Bespoke Wedding Boutique (Shopping & Retail, Wedding Planning Service)
810 yards to the northeast.
- Tesco (Shopping & Retail, Convenience Store)
1072 yards to the northeast.
- Middleton & Chadderton Sea Cadets (Community Organization, Charity Organization)
651 yards to the northeast.
- Splat Messy Play Oldham & Surrounding Areas (Public & Government Service)
696 yards to the southeast.
- Failsworth Soccer Centre (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1572 yards to the east.
- CD FireSec Limited (Local Service, Professional Service)
1161 yards to the northwest.
- Little Bear (Professional Service, Pet Service)
28 yards to the south.
- Futureshock Wrestling Academy (Sports & Fitness Instruction)
497 yards to the west.
- MK fitness (Medical & Health)
497 yards to the west.
- Batesy's GYM (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
497 yards to the west.
- Taylormade Little hitters (Professional Service)
460 yards to the northwest.
- CrossFit Northern Soul (Sports Club, Performance & Event Venue)
1413 yards to the northeast.