|Marker place "!27tk"||6¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!27tl"||6 furlongs|
|Marker place "!27to"||5¼ furlongs|
|Hammerton's Ferry||3¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!27tq"||1¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!27tr"||1 furlong|
|Marker place "!27ts"||1¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!27tt"||2¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!27tu"||3½ furlongs|
|Richmond Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to Thames - Grand Union Canal Junction, then on the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford) to Brentford Visitor Moorings Travel to Teddington Lock Weir Exit, then on the River Thames (below Oxford) to Molesey Lock Travel to Thames - Grand Union Canal Junction, then on the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford) to Norwood Top Lock No 90
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outTravel to Thames - Grand Union Canal Junction, then on the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford) to Brentford Visitor Moorings Travel to Teddington Lock Weir Exit, then on the River Thames (below Oxford) to Molesey Lock
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Glover's Island
Originally called Petersham Ait, Glover's Island is situated in Horse Reach on the River Thames, between Richmond Lock and Teddington Lock in the Borough of Richmond upon Thames, London, England.
In the 1872 the island was bought by a Richmond waterman named Joseph Glover for £70. He put the island up for sale in 1895 but Sir J. Whittaker Ellis (Charter Mayor of Richmond) declined to buy it for £5,000 and suggested that the Richmond Corporation should be approached.
The Amenities Committee considered the proposal on 2 April 1895 and decided –
"That while the Committee think it desirable that the Island should be acquired for the Corporation if it could be obtained at a reasonable price, they are of the opinion that in view of the sum now named, it would be useless to enter into any negotiation for its purchase."
Trying again in 1898, Glover caused a scandal by putting the island up for auction and suggesting it could be sold to Pears soap to erect a giant advertising hoarding.
Glover used this to blackmail the Richmond Corporation, offering it to them for £4,000 but although the Corporation wanted to buy the island, it was felt that there was no justification in spending such a large sum of money out of its funds.
There then followed a lengthy debate and correspondence in the local press about preserving the view from Richmond Hill and suggestions were made that the purchase should be funded jointly by public subscription and the corporation.
By September, only £50 had been given to the public fund and the disclosure that Glover had purchased the island in 1872 for £70 did not help the collection.
The auction took place on 21 September but the highest bid was only £200. An unnamed resident had offered Glover £1,000 for the island (which he then intended to present to the Corporation), but Glover refused to sell and also withdrew the island from sale.
In 1900 Max Waechter, who lived in Terrace House, Richmond Hill, bought Glover’s Island and gave it to the Council – the sale price was never disclosed.
- The Roebuck Richmond (Restaurant)
618 yards to the northeast.
- Marlborough, Richmond Hill (Pub)
948 yards to the northeast.
- The Crown St Margarets (British Restaurant, Bar)
1015 yards to the west.
- The Lass O'Richmond Hill (Pub)
790 yards to the east.
- Ministry of Sound Club (Live Music Venue)
16617 yards to the east.
- Marble Hill House (Museum, Historical Place)
771 yards to the northwest.
- LondonRichmond (Region, Arts & Entertainment)
1585 yards to the northeast.
- Richmond Park (Tour Agency)
1809 yards to the east.
- The White Swan Twickenham (Pub)
1215 yards to the west.
- Gaucho (Steakhouse)
934 yards to the north.
- London Borough of Richmond upon Thames (Government Building)
1539 yards to the west.
- Ole & Steen UK (Restaurant, Coffee Shop)
14957 yards to the northeast.
- Pembroke Lodge (Tea Room, Performance & Event Venue)
1190 yards to the southeast.
- Jackson + Rye (Bar & Grill)
1056 yards to the north.
- Home London (Local Service, MediaNews Company)
911 yards to the north.
- Petersham Nurseries (Restaurant, Coffee Shop)
377 yards to the southeast.
- The Ivy Cafe Richmond (Cafe, British Restaurant)
1182 yards to the north.
- The Petersham Hotel (Restaurant, Cafe)
489 yards to the east.
- Richmond Gate Hotel & Leisure Club (Meeting Room)
684 yards to the east.
- Bingham (Restaurant, Tea Room)
726 yards to the north.
- Terrace Gardens (Travel & Transportation, Park)
624 yards to the northeast.
- Twickenham Bridge (Bridge)
1509 yards to the northwest.
- Rose of York Hotel (Pub, Hotel)
397 yards to the east.
- Ham Polo Club (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
643 yards to the southwest.
- Digme Fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1438 yards to the north.
- Stonehenge (Historical Place, Landmark & Historical Place)
120167 yards to the west.
- Marble Hill Playcentres Adventure Playground (Sports & Recreation, Community Organization)
541 yards to the northwest.