Barton Swing Aqueduct
There may not be access to the towpath here.
If you know about towpath access here please log on and use "Edit Place" from the "Edit and Change" menu item to improve the data.
There is a small aqueduct or underbridge here which takes a canal under the canal.
|Parkway Bridge No 45||1 mile, 1 furlong|
|Trafford Park Winding Hole||1 mile|
|Intu Trafford Centre Visitor Moorings||5½ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Pipebridge||2¼ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Bridge||2 furlongs|
|Barton Swing Aqueduct|
|Barton Lane Underbridge No 46A||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Yard||1 furlong|
|Patricroft Basin and Warehouse||2¼ furlongs|
|Patricroft Bridge Winding Hole||3½ furlongs|
|Patricroft Bridge No 47||3¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-outTravel to Stretford - Waters Meeting, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Stretford Marina
Wikipedia has a page about Barton Swing Aqueduct
The Barton Swing Aqueduct is a moveable navigable aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England. It carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal. The swinging action allows large vessels using the ship canal to pass underneath and smaller narrowboats to cross over the top. The aqueduct, the first and only swing aqueduct in the world, is a Grade II* listed building, and considered a major feat of Victorian civil engineering. Designed by Sir Edward Leader Williams and built by Andrew Handyside and Company of Derby, the swing bridge opened in 1894 and remains in regular use.
- Chill Factore (Sports Club, Sports & Fitness Instructor, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1012 yards to the southwest.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Centre Manchester (Party Entertainment Venue, ShoppingRetail)
1228 yards to the southeast.
- SEA LIFE Manchester (Museum, Zoo)
1223 yards to the southeast.
- Play Factore (Recreation Center, Arts & Entertainment)
1131 yards to the southwest.
- Tru Communications Ltd (Business Supply Service)
214 yards to the northwest.
- Moscow State Circus (Circus, Business Service)
1524 yards to the southeast.
- Bowlers Manchester (Performance & Sports Venue)
1620 yards to the southeast.
- Las Iguanas Trafford Centre (Mexican Restaurant, Brazilian Restaurant)
1097 yards to the south.
- intu TraffordCentre (Shopping Mall, Department Store)
1148 yards to the south.
- Trafford Centre (Shopping District, Restaurant)
1049 yards to the south.
- Barton Swing Aqueduct (Bridge)
15 yards to the east.
- David Lloyd Clubs (GymPhysical Fitness Center, Public Swimming Pool, Personal Trainer)
807 yards to the southwest.
- Trafford Centre (Department Store, Travel & Transportation, Restaurant)
1003 yards to the south.
- Travelodge Hotel - Manchester Trafford Park (Hotel)
886 yards to the southwest.
- Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre North (Hotel, Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant)
580 yards to the south.
- The Coach House (Family Style Restaurant)
1237 yards to the south.
- Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre West (Hotel, Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant)
898 yards to the south.
- TGI Fridays (New American Restaurant)
1227 yards to the south.
- ChillFactore, Manchester (Ski & Snowboard School)
1013 yards to the southwest.
- B&Q trafford (Food & Beverage)
340 yards to the southeast.
- Rockhouse Hotel (Hotel)
296 yards to the west.
- Talbot Catholic Club (Organization)
843 yards to the northwest.
- Sea Life Trafford Centre (Zoo)
570 yards to the south.
- The Dutton Arms Eccles. (Gastropub)
395 yards to the northwest.
- Yo Sushi - Trafford Centre (Sushi Restaurant)
1114 yards to the south.
- Selfridges, Trafford Centre (Coffee Shop)
1044 yards to the south.
- Frankie & Bennies Trafford Centre (New American Restaurant)
1220 yards to the south.
- Legoland Manchester (Arts & Entertainment)
922 yards to the south.
- Selfridges (ShoppingRetail)
1545 yards to the south.
- Victoria Secrets Shop Trafford Centre (Women's Clothing Store)
1171 yards to the south.
- Paradise Island Adventure Golf - Manchester (Miniature Golf Course, Golf Course)
1138 yards to the south.
- iFLY Indoor Skydiving UK (Landmark & Historical Place)
924 yards to the southwest.
- EventCity (Official Page) (Convention Center)
1397 yards to the southeast.
- Nando's Manchester Trafford Centre (Chicken Joint)
1199 yards to the south.
- Swinging Bridge Table Table (Family Style Restaurant, Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant)
596 yards to the south.
- Elite:Manchester (Region)
1561 yards to the east.