Barton Swing Aqueduct
There may not be access to the towpath here.
If you know about towpath access here please log on and use "Edit Place" from the "Edit and Change" menu item to improve the data.
There is a small aqueduct or underbridge here which takes a canal under the canal.
|Parkway Bridge No 45||1 mile, 1 furlong|
|Trafford Park Winding Hole||1 mile|
|Intu Trafford Centre Visitor Moorings||5½ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Pipebridge||2¼ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Bridge||2 furlongs|
|Barton Swing Aqueduct|
|Barton Lane Underbridge No 46A||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Yard||1 furlong|
|Patricroft Basin and Warehouse||2¼ furlongs|
|Patricroft Bridge Winding Hole||3½ furlongs|
|Patricroft Bridge No 47||3¾ furlongs|
Out of Manchester from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Saturday the 11th of April, 2009
Where it all began from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Tuesday the 7th of April, 2009
In to Wigan from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Sunday the 6th of July, 1980
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-outTravel to Stretford - Waters Meeting, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Stretford Marina
Wikipedia has a page about Barton Swing Aqueduct
The Barton Swing Aqueduct is a moveable navigable aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England. It carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal. The swinging action allows large vessels using the ship canal to pass underneath and smaller narrowboats to cross over the top. The aqueduct, the first and only swing aqueduct in the world, is a Grade II* listed building, and considered a major feat of Victorian civil engineering. Designed by Sir Edward Leader Williams and built by Andrew Handyside and Company of Derby, the swing bridge opened in 1894 and remains in regular use.
- intu TraffordCentre (Shopping Mall, Department Store)
1148 yards to the south.
- The Orient (Food & Beverage)
1160 yards to the south.
- Elite:Manchester (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1561 yards to the east.
- Trafford Centre (Shopping District, Shopping & Retail)
1049 yards to the south.
- La Tasca Trafford Centre (Arts & Entertainment)
1196 yards to the south.
- Swinging Bridge Table Table (Family Style Restaurant, Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant)
596 yards to the south.
- Tru Communications Ltd (Business Supply Service)
214 yards to the northwest.
- Chill Factore (Sports Club, Sports & Fitness Instructor, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1012 yards to the southwest.
- 360 Champagne & Cocktails - the Orient (Restaurant)
1287 yards to the south.
- Trafford Centre (Food & Beverage, Shopping District)
1003 yards to the south.
- EventCity (Official Page) (Convention Center)
1397 yards to the southeast.
- Selfridges, Trafford Centre (Coffee Shop)
1044 yards to the south.
- David Lloyd Clubs (GymPhysical Fitness Center, Public Swimming Pool, Personal Trainer)
807 yards to the southwest.
- Legoland Manchester (Arts & Entertainment)
922 yards to the south.
- Eccles Special Needs Stay and Play (Organization)
703 yards to the north.
- Chapman Holmes Catering & Events Management (Event Planner)
1002 yards to the west.
- B&Q trafford (Food & Beverage)
340 yards to the southeast.
- Rockhouse Hotel (Hotel)
296 yards to the west.
- The Coach House (Family Style Restaurant)
1237 yards to the south.
- Patricroft Conservative Club (Social Club)
441 yards to the northwest.
- Pizza Hut (Fast Food Restaurant)
1096 yards to the south.
- The Shake Lab (Fast Food Restaurant)
1009 yards to the south.
- The Dutton Arms Eccles. (Gastropub)
395 yards to the northwest.
- McDonald's (Fast Food Restaurant)
925 yards to the southeast.
- Wangies (Pub)
900 yards to the northwest.
- Manchester Giants (Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness)
1114 yards to the southwest.
- Costco (Big Box Retailer)
957 yards to the southeast.
- Smiths Restaurant Church Street Eccles (British Restaurant)
418 yards to the northeast.
- The Swinging Bridge (Bar & Grill)
619 yards to the south.
- Old Trafford (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
4684 yards to the east.
- Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre West (Hotel, Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant)
898 yards to the south.
- Play Factore (Arts & Entertainment)
1131 yards to the southwest.
- Trafford Golf Centre (Golf Course & Country Club)
1110 yards to the south.
- Nando's Manchester The Chill Factor (Chicken Joint, European Restaurant)
1027 yards to the southwest.