Barton Swing Aqueduct
There may not be access to the towpath here.
If you know about towpath access here please log on and use "Edit Place" from the "Edit and Change" menu item to improve the data.
There is a small aqueduct or underbridge here which takes a canal under the canal.
|Ashburton Road Pipebridge||2¼ furlongs|
|Ashburton Road Bridge||2 furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gag"||1¾ furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gah"||1¼ furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gai"||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Swing Aqueduct|
|Barton Lane Underbridge No 46A||¾ furlongs|
|Barton Yard||1 furlong|
|Marker place "!3gaj"||1 furlong|
|Marker place "!3gak"||1¼ furlongs|
|Marker place "!3gal"||1½ furlongs|
Out of Manchester from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Saturday the 11th of April, 2009
Where it all began from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Tuesday the 7th of April, 2009
In to Wigan from Scribblings from the Mintball posted Sunday the 6th of July, 1980
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-outTravel to Stretford - Waters Meeting, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Stretford Marina
Wikipedia has a page about Barton Swing Aqueduct
The Barton Swing Aqueduct is a moveable navigable aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England. It carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal. The swinging action allows large vessels using the ship canal to pass underneath and smaller craft, both narrowboats and broad-beam barges to cross over the top. The aqueduct, the first and only swing aqueduct in the world, is a Grade II* listed building, and considered a major feat of Victorian civil engineering. Designed by Sir Edward Leader Williams and built by Andrew Handyside and Company of Derby, the swing bridge opened in 1894 and remains in regular use.
- Elite:Manchester (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1561 yards to the east.
- Tru Communications Ltd (Business Service)
214 yards to the northwest.
- Mardi Gras, Wetherspoons, Trafford Centre (Pub)
1068 yards to the south.
- Swinging Bridge Table Table (Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant, British Restaurant)
596 yards to the south.
- Castle in the Air - JD Wetherspoon (Gastropub)
951 yards to the southwest.
- Sparkles hair, nails and beauty (Hair Salon, Professional Service)
658 yards to the north.
- Chill Factore (Sports Club, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1012 yards to the southwest.
- SEA LIFE Manchester (Zoo)
1223 yards to the southeast.
- Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre North (Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant)
580 yards to the south.
- Play Factore (Arts & Entertainment)
1131 yards to the southwest.
- EventCity (Official Page) (Convention Center)
1397 yards to the southeast.
- David Lloyd Clubs (Public Swimming Pool, Tennis Stadium)
807 yards to the southwest.