Braunston Tunnel (West end)
|Braunston Lock No 4||3½ furlongs|
|Braunston Lock No 5||3 furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Bridge No 5||2½ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock No 6||2¼ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Moorings||1¾ furlongs|
|Braunston Tunnel (West end)|
|Braunston Tunnel (East end)||1 mile, 1¼ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf Bridge No 6||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Thrupp Covert Bridge No 7||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Lords Bridge No 8||2 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
|Water Lane Bridge No 9||2 miles, 5 furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- Gordano Shop (Shopping & Retail)
1455 to the south.
- Silvertime (Jewelry Supplier)
211 to the northeast.
- Human Core Ltd (Engineering Service)
1134 to the southeast.
- Nicki James Dance & Fitness (Sports & Recreation)
714 to the southeast.
- The Admiral Nelson (Pub, Beer Garden)
933 to the northwest.
- Home Farm Events Ltd (Caterer, Event Venue, Wedding Planning)
982 to the west.
- Axon Public Safety UK Limited (Electronic Equipment Service, Law Enforcement)
1315 to the southeast.
- Bragborough Hall Holidays (Cottage, Farm, Outdoor Recreation)
960 to the northeast.
- Meguiar's UK (Car Wash & Detailing)
1308 to the south.
- Middlemore, Daventry (Professional Services)
936 to the southeast.
- DHL Wetherspoons (Supply & Distribution Services)
867 to the south.
- Saints Rugby Stadium Northampton (Sports Venue & Stadium)
952 to the southeast.
- Toolstation Daventry (Other)
1457 to the south.
- Middlemore Pub (Restaurant)
899 to the southeast.
- Amazon Daventry (Electronic Equipment Service)
1427 to the southeast.
- Braunston Locks (Outdoors)
1240 to the northwest.
- Synergyhealth Daventry (Business Supply Service)
1416 to the south.
- DHL Daventry Heartlands (Workplace & Office)
1267 to the southeast.
- Ceva Logistics (Cargo & Freight)
1341 to the south.
- J D Wetherspoons Distribution Centre (Bar)
910 to the south.
- Love Crafts (Arts & Crafts Supply Store)
942 to the east.
- Hankook Tyre UK (Automotive)
1194 to the south.
- THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL - a highway laid with water.
- An account of the Grand Junction Canal, 1792 - 1928, with a postscript. By Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin.
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest Water point
Nearest Rubbish disposal
Nearest Chemical toilet disposal
Nearest Place to turn
Wikipedia has a page about Braunston Tunnel
Braunston Tunnel is on the Grand Union Canal about 830 yds (760 m) east of Braunston, Northamptonshire, England top lock. It is in the northern outskirts of Daventry, about 2 km east of the village of Braunston.
Braunston Tunnel is 2,042 yards (1,867 m) in length. Built by Jessop and Barnes, the tunnel has no towpath and is 4.8m wide by 3.76m high.
It was opened in 1796. Its construction was delayed by soil movement and it was probably the resulting movement that led to the tunnel having a slight 'S' bend. There is room for two 7 ft (2.13 m) beam boats to pass. There are three air shafts along its length.
The tunnel passes underground alongside another Grand Union Canal feature, Drayton Reservoir, from which the feeder enters the canal at the east end of the tunnel.