Braunston Tunnel (West end)
|Braunston Lock No 4||3½ furlongs|
|Braunston Lock No 5||3 furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Bridge No 5||2½ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock No 6||2¼ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Visitor Moorings||1¾ furlongs|
|Braunston Tunnel (West end)|
|Braunston Tunnel (East end)||1 mile, 1¼ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf Bridge No 6||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf||1 mile, 3 furlongs|
|Thrupp Covert Bridge No 7||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Lords Bridge No 8||2 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL - a highway laid with water.
- An account of the Grand Junction Canal, 1792 - 1928, with a postscript. By Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin.
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Braunston Tunnel
Braunston Tunnel is on the Grand Union Canal about 830 yds (760 m) east of Braunston, Northamptonshire, England top lock. It is in the northern outskirts of Daventry, about 2 km east of the village of Braunston.
Braunston Tunnel is 2,042 yards (1,867 m) in length. Built by Jessop and Barnes, the tunnel has no towpath and is 4.8m wide by 3.76m high.
It was opened in 1796. Its construction was delayed by soil movement and it was probably the resulting movement that led to the tunnel having a slight 'S' bend. There is room for two 7 ft (2.13 m) beam boats to pass. There are three air shafts along its length.
The tunnel passes underground alongside another Grand Union Canal feature, Drayton Reservoir, from which the feeder enters the canal at the east end of the tunnel.
- Metro Rod Northampton (Sewer Service, Public Utility)
1433 to the south.
- Middlemore Farm (Bar & Grill, British Restaurant, Pub)
891 to the southeast.
- The Admiral Nelson (Beer Garden, Pub)
933 to the northwest.
- Home Farm Events Ltd (Event Venue, Wedding Planning, Caterer)
982 to the west.
- Vanity Fur Dog Grooming (Pet Groomer)
958 to the southeast.
- Bragborough Hall Holidays (Farm, Cottage, Outdoor Recreation)
960 to the northeast.
- Meguiar's UK (Car Wash & Detailing)
1311 to the south.
- Drayton Reservoir (Reservoir)
1239 to the southeast.
- Middlemore, Daventry (Professional Service)
950 to the southeast.
- DHL Wetherspoons (Supply & Distribution Service)
867 to the south.
- Admiral Nelson Braunston (Beer Garden, Restaurant, Bar)
936 to the northwest.
- Ingram Micro (Education, Professional Service, Travel & Transportation)
1239 to the south.
- Arcese Daventry (Cargo & Freight Company)
1114 to the south.
- Admiral Nelson music Festival 2016 (MusicianBand)
744 to the northwest.
- J D Wetherspoons Distribution Centre (British Restaurant)
852 to the south.
- Toolstation Daventry (Appliances)
1456 to the south.
- Braunston Bottom Lock (Cargo & Freight Company)
1221 to the northwest.
- Tradeouts (Car Dealership)
1319 to the southeast.
- Daventry School of Motoring (Driving School)
1330 to the northwest.
- Insulglass (Contractor)
1400 to the south.
- Country Designs (Arts & Crafts Supply Store)
1496 to the south.
- Interlock Paving (Contractor)
1391 to the south.
- Intelligent Motion Control (Computers & Electronics)
1496 to the south.
- Hankook Tire Co. Daventry (Tire Dealer & Repair Shop)
1010 to the south.
- BBT (Gardener)
1478 to the northwest.
- Hankook Tyre UK (Tire Dealer & Repair Shop)
1053 to the southeast.