Braunston Tunnel (West end)
|Braunston Lock No 4||3½ furlongs|
|Braunston Lock No 5||3 furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Bridge No 5||2½ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock No 6||2¼ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Visitor Moorings||1¾ furlongs|
|Braunston Tunnel (West end)|
|Braunston Tunnel (East end)||1 mile, 1¼ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf Bridge No 6||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf||1 mile, 3 furlongs|
|Thrupp Covert Bridge No 7||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Lords Bridge No 8||2 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL - a highway laid with water.
- An account of the Grand Junction Canal, 1792 - 1928, with a postscript. By Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin.
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Braunston Tunnel
Braunston Tunnel is on the Grand Union Canal about 830 yds (760 m) east of Braunston, Northamptonshire, England top lock. It is in the northern outskirts of Daventry, about 2 km east of the village of Braunston.
Braunston Tunnel is 2,042 yards (1,867 m) in length. Built by Jessop and Barnes, the tunnel has no towpath and is 4.8m wide by 3.76m high.
It was opened in 1796. Its construction was delayed by soil movement and it was probably the resulting movement that led to the tunnel having a slight 'S' bend. There is room for two 7 ft (2.13 m) beam boats to pass. There are three air shafts along its length.
The tunnel passes underground alongside another Grand Union Canal feature, Drayton Reservoir, from which the feeder enters the canal at the east end of the tunnel.
- Middlemore Farm (British Restaurant, Family Style Restaurant, Bar & Grill)
891 to the southeast.
- Greenman Services (Contractor, Landscaping, Gardener)
1338 to the northwest.
- Metro Rod Northampton (Sewer Service, Public Utility)
1433 to the south.
- Silvertime Jewellery (Jewelry Supplier, Jewelry Store, Region)
211 to the northeast.
- Braunston Tunnel (Public Places & Attractions)
860 to the east.
- Bragborough Beef (Butcher Shop, Farm)
653 to the north.
- The Admiral Nelson (Beer Garden, Pub)
933 to the northwest.
- Rugby and Daventry Sailing Club (Sports Club, Sports Venue & Stadium)
1208 to the southeast.
- Home Farm Events Ltd (Event Venue, Caterer, Wedding Planning)
983 to the west.
- Drayton Reservoir (Reservoir)
1239 to the southeast.
- Meguiar's UK (Car Wash & Detailing)
1309 to the south.
- Bragborough Hall Holidays (Cottage, Farm, Outdoor Recreation)
960 to the northeast.
- Braunston Mill Country Retreats (Cottage)
1040 to the west.
- Arcese Daventry (Cargo & Freight Company, Residence)
1168 to the south.
- Admiral Nelson Braunston (Nightlife, Beer Garden, Restaurant)
936 to the northwest.
- Middlemore, Daventry (Borough)
899 to the southeast.
- DHL Wetherspoons (Supply & Distribution Service)
858 to the south.
- J D Wetherspoons Distribution Centre (European Restaurant)
851 to the south.
- Braunston Locks (City, Professional Service)
1367 to the northwest.
- Braunston Bottom Lock (Cargo & Freight Company)
1221 to the northwest.
- Toolstation Daventry (Appliances)
1456 to the south.
- Interlock Paving (Contractor)
1391 to the south.
- Crown Imperial (Hotel, Place to EatDrink)
1236 to the southeast.
- Select Convenience Middlemore (Convenience Store)
1058 to the southeast.
- Braunston Festival (City)
1436 to the northwest.
- Hankook Tire Co. Daventry (Tire Dealer & Repair Shop)
1010 to the south.
- DHL Daventry Heartlands (Professional Service)
1238 to the southeast.
- Ceva Logistics (Cargo & Freight Company)
1341 to the south.
- Hankook Tyre UK (Tire Dealer & Repair Shop)
1036 to the south.