Braunston Tunnel (West end)
|Braunston Lock No 4||3½ furlongs|
|Braunston Lock No 5||3 furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Bridge No 5||2½ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock No 6||2¼ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Moorings||1¾ furlongs|
|Braunston Tunnel (West end)|
|Braunston Tunnel (East end)||1 mile, 1¼ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf Bridge No 6||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Thrupp Covert Bridge No 7||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Lords Bridge No 8||2 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
|Water Lane Bridge No 9||2 miles, 5 furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL - a highway laid with water.
- An account of the Grand Junction Canal, 1792 - 1928, with a postscript. By Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin.
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest Water point
Nearest Rubbish disposal
Nearest Chemical toilet disposal
Nearest Place to turn
Wikipedia has a page about Braunston Tunnel
Braunston Tunnel is on the Grand Union Canal about 830 yds (760 m) east of Braunston, Northamptonshire, England top lock. It is in the northern outskirts of Daventry, about 2 km east of the village of Braunston.
Braunston Tunnel is 2,042 yards (1,867 m) in length. Built by Jessop and Barnes, the tunnel has no towpath and is 4.8m wide by 3.76m high.
It was opened in 1796. Its construction was delayed by soil movement and it was probably the resulting movement that led to the tunnel having a slight 'S' bend. There is room for two 7 ft (2.13 m) beam boats to pass. There are three air shafts along its length.
The tunnel passes underground alongside another Grand Union Canal feature, Drayton Reservoir, from which the feeder enters the canal at the east end of the tunnel.
- Meguiar's UK (Car Wash & Detailing)
1311 to the south.
- Hankook Tyre UK (Tire Dealer)
1032 to the south.
- Heartlands Physiotherapy Clinic (Physical Therapist, Clinic)
1411 to the southeast.
- Travel Blog Press (Hotel, Broadcasting & Media Production)
1315 to the southeast.
- The Admiral Nelson (Pub, Beer Garden)
933 to the northwest.
- Spartan Virtual Assistants (Secretarial Service)
1430 to the southeast.
- Drayton Reservoir (Landmark)
1239 to the southeast.
- Home Farm Events Ltd (Event Venue, Wedding Planning, Caterer)
982 to the west.
- Rugby and Daventry Sailing Club (Sports Club)
1208 to the southeast.
- DHL Wetherspoons (Restaurant, Bar)
867 to the south.
- Middlemore, Daventry (Professional Services)
950 to the southeast.
- J D Wetherspoons Distribution Centre (Restaurant, Bar)
852 to the south.
- Toolstation Daventry (Appliances)
1463 to the south.
- Crown Imperial (Place to EatDrink)
1268 to the southeast.
- Arcese Daventry (Cargo & Freight)
1168 to the south.
- Ceva Logistics (Cargo & Freight)
1341 to the south.
- Ingram Micro (Travel & Transportation)
1233 to the south.
- Laura Sturrock (Accountant)
1143 to the northwest.
- Berryfields Farm Ltd (Agricultural Service, Farm)
1429 to the south.
- BBT (Gardener)
1478 to the northwest.
- JJW Engineering and Motorsport LTD (Engineering Service, Manufacturing, Race Cars)
1400 to the south.
- The National Mini Show - Stanford Hall (Arts & Entertainment)
953 to the southeast.
- Hankook Tire Co. Daventry (Tire Dealer)
1111 to the south.
- Heartlands Business Park (Commercial & Industrial)
1425 to the south.
- Middlemore Farm (British Restaurant, Bar & Grill, Pub)
892 to the southeast.