Braunston Tunnel (West end)
|Braunston Lock No 4||3½ furlongs|
|Braunston Lock No 5||3 furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Bridge No 5||2½ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock No 6||2¼ furlongs|
|Braunston Top Lock Visitor Moorings||1¾ furlongs|
|Braunston Tunnel (West end)|
|Braunston Tunnel (East end)||1 mile, 1¼ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf Bridge No 6||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Welton Wharf||1 mile, 3 furlongs|
|Thrupp Covert Bridge No 7||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Lords Bridge No 8||2 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- THE GRAND JUNCTION CANAL - a highway laid with water.
- An account of the Grand Junction Canal, 1792 - 1928, with a postscript. By Ian Petticrew and Wendy Austin.
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposal
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Braunston Tunnel
Braunston Tunnel is on the Grand Union Canal about 830 yds (760 m) east of Braunston, Northamptonshire, England top lock. It is in the northern outskirts of Daventry, about 2 km east of the village of Braunston.
Braunston Tunnel is 2,042 yards (1,867 m) in length. Built by Jessop and Barnes, the tunnel has no towpath and is 4.8m wide by 3.76m high.
It was opened in 1796. Its construction was delayed by soil movement and it was probably the resulting movement that led to the tunnel having a slight 'S' bend. There is room for two 7 ft (2.13 m) beam boats to pass. There are three air shafts along its length.
The tunnel passes underground alongside another Grand Union Canal feature, Drayton Reservoir, from which the feeder enters the canal at the east end of the tunnel.
- Boat House, Braunston (Family Style Restaurant)
2554 yards to the west.
- Kanflu Ltd - Hydraulic and Pneumatic Specialists (Professional Service)
1614 yards to the south.
- Greenman Services (Landscape Company, Garden Center)
1464 yards to the northwest.
- Silvertime Jewellery (Jewelry & Watches Store, Jewelry Wholesaler)
232 yards to the northeast.
- The Admiral Nelson (Pub, Beer Garden)
1021 yards to the northwest.
- J P Tooling (Local Service, Commercial & Industrial)
1518 yards to the south.
- Middlemore Farm (British Restaurant, Bar & Grill)
974 yards to the southeast.
- Tradeouts (Local Service)
1442 yards to the southeast.
- Union Canal Carriers (Boat Rental, Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness, Arts & Entertainment)
1267 yards to the northwest.
- Red Arch Manufacturing (Business Service, Local Service)
1153 yards to the northwest.
- Intelligent Motion Control (Professional Service, Local Service)
1637 yards to the south.
- Insulglass (Fast Food Restaurant, Sandwich Shop)
1532 yards to the south.
- B & V Water Treatment (Water Treatment Service, Waste Management Company)
1337 yards to the south.
- Wharf House Narrowboats (Boat Service, Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness)
1362 yards to the northwest.
- Bragborough Beef (Farm, Butcher Shop)
715 yards to the north.
- Heartlands Physiotherapy Clinic (Physical Therapist)
1495 yards to the southeast.
- Metro Rod Northampton (Sewer Service, Public Utility Company)
1567 yards to the south.
- Palway (Local Service)
1508 yards to the south.
- Bragborough Hall Holidays (Cottage, Farm)
1050 yards to the northeast.
- Select Convenience Middlemore (Shopping & Retail)
1158 yards to the southeast.
- Home Farm Events Ltd (Wedding Planning Service, Party Entertainment Venue)
1076 yards to the west.
- Hankook Tyre UK (Tire Dealer & Repair Shop)
1133 yards to the south.
- Farnborough hampshire AA GRADE A Instructor (School, Driving School)
1094 yards to the southeast.