Places of interest within 1 mile and to which this is the nearest place: Aliance and Leicester cashpoints (ATM machines) (3 furlongs away); Barclays Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (2¼ furlongs away); HSBC cashpoints (ATM machines) (2¾ furlongs away); Lloyds Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (2½ furlongs away); Nationwide Building Society cashpoints (ATM machines) (2½ furlongs away); Natwest Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (2¼ furlongs away); JD Weatherspoons Pubs (3 furlongs away); Morisons's supermarkets (3 furlongs away)
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest place to turn
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
chemical toilet disposal
Wikipedia has a page about Burnham-on-Sea
Burnham-on-Sea is a town in Somerset, England, at the mouth of the River Parrett and Bridgwater Bay. Burnham was a small fishing village until the late 18th century, when it began to grow because of its popularity as a seaside resort. It forms part of the parish of Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge and shares a town council with its neighbouring market town of Highbridge. According to the 2011 census the population of the parish (i.e. including Highbridge) was 19,576, of which the populations of the wards of Burnham Central and Burnham North, which made up most of the town, totalled 13,601.
The position of the town on the edge of the Somerset Levels and moors where they meet the Bristol Channel, has resulted in a history dominated by land reclamation and sea defences since Roman times. Burnham was seriously affected by the Bristol Channel floods of 1607, with the present curved concrete wall being completed in 1988. There have been many shipwrecks on the Gore Sands, which lie just offshore and can be exposed at low tides. Lighthouses are hence prominent landmarks in the town, with the original lighthouse known as the Round Tower built to replace the light on the top of the 14th century tower of St Andrews Church. The 110-foot (34-metre) pillar or High Lighthouse and the low wooden pile lighthouse or Lighthouse on legs on the beach were built to replace it. The town's first lifeboat was provided in 1836 by the Corporation of Bridgwater.
A stone pier was built in 1858 by the Somerset Central Railway. Soon afterwards, in 1860, a steamer service to Wales was inaugurated, but it was never a commercial success, and ended in 1888. Burnham-on-Sea railway station was the terminus of the Burnham branch of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. It opened in 1858, closed to scheduled passenger traffic in 1951, and stopped being used for excursions in 1962. The former Great Western Railway station is now known as Highbridge and Burnham. A second pier, built of concrete between 1911 and 1914, is claimed to be the shortest pier in Britain.
- Crafty Teacup Cafe (Tea Room, Coffee Shop)
639 yards to the east.
- Relish Burnham (Steakhouse, Tea Room)
690 yards to the east.
- Chatterbox cafe (Coffee Shop)
629 yards to the east.
- The Artful Dodger (Cafe)
794 yards to the east.
- The Railway Burnham-on-sea (British Restaurant, Pub)
642 yards to the east.
- The Old Pier Tavern (MusicianBand, Region)
708 yards to the southeast.
- Burnham on Sea beach (Beach)
630 yards to the southeast.
- Costa Coffee (Coffee Shop)
665 yards to the southeast.
- Burnham-on-Sea 'Pier' (Landmark & Historical Place)
517 yards to the east.
- Is In Sunny Burnham On Sea (Beach Resort)
689 yards to the southeast.
- Ritz Social Club (Social Club)
582 yards to the east.
- Chandni Indian Cuisine (Indian Restaurant)
633 yards to the east.
- Burnham Nursing And Residential Centre (Nursing Home)
1023 yards to the southeast.
- Burnham-On-Sea Holiday Village (RV Park)
1294 yards to the southeast.
- Flowers and Things (ShoppingRetail, Florist)
640 yards to the east.
- Fortes (Restaurant)
690 yards to the southeast.
- St Andrew's Church, Burnham-on-Sea (Church)
662 yards to the east.
- Hallmark Tattoos (Tattoo & Piercing Shop)
692 yards to the east.
- La Vela Restaurant & Bar (Italian Restaurant)
762 yards to the southeast.
- Bayview Cafe Burnham on Sea (Fast Food Restaurant)
710 yards to the southeast.
- Burnham on Sea Baptist Church (Church)
1029 yards to the east.
- Taste of The Orient (Cantonese Restaurant)
593 yards to the east.
- Dunstan House (Beer Garden)
865 yards to the east.
- The Mitre (European Restaurant, Bar)
598 yards to the east.
- Prim N Proper (Hair Salon, Spa)
1006 yards to the southeast.
- Haven Holiday Park, Burnham on Sea, Somerset (Hotel Resort, RV Park)
1311 yards to the southeast.
- Shah Indian Cuisine (Indian Restaurant)
646 yards to the east.
- The Victoria Hotel (Pub, Hotel)
619 yards to the east.
- Burnham-on-Sea Swim & Sports Academy (Public Swimming Pool, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
667 yards to the northeast.
- Burnham Bootcamp & Personal Training (Nutritionist, Personal Trainer)
1522 yards to the northeast.
- Burnham on Sea Food & Drink Festival (Event)
642 yards to the east.
- Highbridge & Burnham-on-Sea Carnival (Community Organization, Arts & Entertainment)
1538 yards to the east.