Places of interest within 1 mile and to which this is the nearest place: Aliance and Leicester cashpoints (ATM machines) (609 away); Barclays Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (473 away); HSBC cashpoints (ATM machines) (547 away); Lloyds Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (487 away); Nationwide Building Society cashpoints (ATM machines) (481 away); Natwest Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (465 away); JD Weatherspoons Pubs (593 away); Morisons's supermarkets (606 away)
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest place to turn
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
chemical toilet disposal
Wikipedia has a page about Burnham-on-Sea
Burnham-on-Sea is a town in Somerset, England, at the mouth of the River Parrett and Bridgwater Bay. Burnham was a small fishing village until the late 18th century, when it began to grow because of its popularity as a seaside resort. It forms part of the parish of Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge and shares a town council with its neighbouring market town of Highbridge. According to the 2011 census the population of the parish (i.e. including Highbridge) was 19,576, of which the populations of the wards of Burnham Central and Burnham North, which made up most of the town, totalled 13,601.
The position of the town on the edge of the Somerset Levels and moors where they meet the Bristol Channel, has resulted in a history dominated by land reclamation and sea defences since Roman times. Burnham was seriously affected by the Bristol Channel floods of 1607, with the present curved concrete wall being completed in 1988. There have been many shipwrecks on the Gore Sands, which lie just offshore and can be exposed at low tides. Lighthouses are hence prominent landmarks in the town, with the original lighthouse known as the Round Tower built to replace the light on the top of the 14th century tower of St Andrews Church. The 110-foot (34-metre) pillar or High Lighthouse and the low wooden pile lighthouse or Lighthouse on legs on the beach were built to replace it. The town's first lifeboat was provided in 1836 by the Corporation of Bridgwater.
A stone pier was built in 1858 by the Somerset Central Railway. Soon afterwards, in 1860, a steamer service to Wales was inaugurated, but it was never a commercial success, and ended in 1888. Burnham-on-Sea railway station was the terminus of the Burnham branch of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. It opened in 1858, closed to scheduled passenger traffic in 1951, and stopped being used for excursions in 1962. The former Great Western Railway station is now known as Highbridge and Burnham. A second pier, built of concrete between 1911 and 1914, is claimed to be the shortest pier in Britain.
- Burnham On Sea -The Seaside (Beach, Lodging)
838 to the northeast.
- Haven Holiday Park, Burnham on Sea, Somerset (RV Park, Resort)
1187 to the southeast.
- Café Beans (Cafe, Coffee Shop)
584 to the east.
- Burnham on Sea beach (Beach)
596 to the southeast.
- Costa Coffee 30 High St. Bos (Cafe, Coffee Shop)
608 to the southeast.
- Burnham Carnival (Arts & Entertainment)
1446 to the east.
- Costa Coffee Burnham (Coffee Shop, British Restaurant)
612 to the east.
- Burnham on Sea Beach Front (Restaurant)
517 to the southeast.
- Retreat Caravan Park (RV Park)
1077 to the northeast.
- Sea Front (Beach)
615 to the southeast.
- Is In Sunny Burnham On Sea (Beach Resort, Public Places & Attractions, RV Park)
465 to the east.
- Hallmark Tattoos (Artistic Service, Tattoo & Piercing)
648 to the east.
- Hair of the Dog (Barber Shop)
581 to the east.
- Costa del Burnham (Place to EatDrink)
605 to the southeast.
- Burnham Sea Front. (Region, Travel & Transportation)
484 to the northeast.
- Burnham-on-Sea 'Pier' (Travel & Transportation)
472 to the east.
- The Pier Pavillion (Arcade)
465 to the east.
- Reeds Arms (Bar)
614 to the southeast.
- Rosewoods Hungry Horse Burnham on Sea Somerset (British Restaurant)
1431 to the east.
- Britains Shortest Pier, Burnham On Sea (Place to EatDrink)
454 to the east.
- Lighthouse Inn (Bar)
1204 to the southeast.
- The Victoria Hotel (Hotel, Bar)
587 to the east.
- Weatherspoons Burnham on sea (Bar, Fast Food Restaurant)
599 to the southeast.
- Burnham on Sea Esplanade (Region, Travel & Transportation)
459 to the east.
- Frydays (Fish & Chips Shop, Fast Food Restaurant)
588 to the southeast.
- Dunston Arms (British Restaurant, Bar)
842 to the east.
- Haven Holiday Park Swimming Pool (Hotel, Amusement, Swimming Pool)
1184 to the southeast.
- Burnham Nursing And Residential Centre (Nursing Home)
934 to the southeast.
- Burnham Spray Jam (Arts & Entertainment)
731 to the east.
- Shah Indian Cuisine (Indian Restaurant)
583 to the east.
- The Artful Dodger (Cafe)
726 to the east.
- Calm (Coffee Shop)
543 to the east.
- The Coffee Corner Co. (Coffee Shop, Cafe)
714 to the southeast.
- Chatterbox cafe (Coffee Shop, Cafe)
575 to the east.
- Relish Burnham (Coffee Shop, Cafe, Smoothie & Juice Bar)
630 to the east.
- Crafty Teacup Cafe (Tea Room, Cafe)
596 to the east.
- Take Two Coffee Shop (Coffee Shop, Restaurant)
551 to the east.
- Lottol Beauty (Beauty Salon)
707 to the southeast.
- Burnham on Sea Food & Drink Festival (Event)
586 to the east.
- Burnham-on-Sea Swim & Sports Academy (Swimming Pool, Gym)
610 to the northeast.
- Waterfront CafeBar (Restaurant, Coffee Shop)
521 to the southeast.
- The Old Pier Tavern (MusicianBand, Sports Bar)
646 to the southeast.
- Dunlin (Vacation Home Rental)
922 to the southeast.
- The Ritz Cinema Burnham-On-Sea (Event Venue, Entertainment Service)
528 to the east.
- Ritz Social Club (Social Club)
533 to the east.