Tuel Lane Tunnel (West end)
Copyright: Neil Walker
Taken: 26 August 2007
Tuel Lock in Sowerby Bridge is the deepest single rise on the canal system. To conserve water the lower gates are a double set with the first pair used if less than 60 ft boats, otherwise the second apir are at 70 ft length. The lower gates are so heavy they are wound open and closed on geared mechanisms. The chamber has a single set of ground paddles that fill via a total of 6 sluices simultaneously to give a fast but smooth ascent. The cill on the upper gates is moulded from concete in a v shape to minimize the risk of rudder grounding on descent. The lock is manned full time by a very amiable lock-keeper. To steady the boats ropes are looped around riser cables on the lock walls
|Sowerby Long Bridge No 2||4½ furlongs|
|Sowerby Footbridge||1¾ furlongs|
|Tower Hill Bridge||1 furlong|
|Tower Hill Winding Hole||¾ furlongs|
|Tuel Lane Lock No 3||¼ furlongs|
|Tuel Lane Tunnel (West end)|
|Tuel Lane Tunnel (East end)||½ furlongs|
|Sowerby Bridge Lock No 2||1 furlong|
|Sowerby Bridge Winding Hole||1¼ furlongs|
|Sowerby Bridge Lock No 1||1¾ furlongs|
|Sowerby Bridge Junction||3¼ furlongs|
- Sowerby Bridge railway station (Train Station)
240 yards to the southeast.
- Sugar,Spice n all Stuff iced (Food & Grocery)
177 yards to the southwest.
- Deli Belge (Food & Grocery)
211 yards to the east.
- Rochdale Canal (Landmark)
23 yards to the southwest.
- The Moorings Pub & Kitchen (Bar, Beer Garden, British Restaurant)
323 yards to the east.
- Gimbals Restaurant (Restaurant)
205 yards to the east.
- Rare Bar and Grill (Bar & Grill)
271 yards to the southwest.
- Kipling's Restaurant (Restaurant)
260 yards to the southwest.
- Temujin Sowerby Bridge (Mongolian Restaurant)
324 yards to the east.
- Salt bar and grill (Wine Bar, New American Restaurant)
373 yards to the east.
- Academy Divers (Sports & Recreation)
247 yards to the east.
- The Commercial Inn, Sowerby Bridge - Wetherspoon (Bar & Grill, Pub)
62 yards to the east.
- The Fire House (Restaurant)
289 yards to the southwest.
- Syhiba (Indian Restaurant)
197 yards to the east.
- Darios (Pizza Place)
83 yards to the southwest.
- Sowerby Bridge Pool and Fitness Centre (Swimming Pool, Gym)
366 yards to the southwest.
- The Works (Pub, Bar)
327 yards to the west.
- Bar Francisca (Pub, Bar)
196 yards to the southwest.
- Lidl (Grocery Store)
85 yards to the west.
- Jubilee Refreshment Rooms (Pub)
260 yards to the south.
- Java Village (Indian Restaurant)
261 yards to the east.
- Jing Jing (Take Out Restaurant)
208 yards to the east.
- The Puzzle Hall Inn (Pub, Arts & Entertainment)
442 yards to the west.
- Sew! at The New Sewing Box (Sewing & Seamstress, Arts & Crafts Supply Store)
69 yards to the east.
There is no page on Wikipedia called “Tuel Lane Tunnel”
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or