Tuel Lane Tunnel (West end)
Copyright: Neil Walker
Taken: 26 August 2007
Tuel Lock in Sowerby Bridge is the deepest single rise on the canal system. To conserve water the lower gates are a double set with the first pair used if less than 60 ft boats, otherwise the second apir are at 70 ft length. The lower gates are so heavy they are wound open and closed on geared mechanisms. The chamber has a single set of ground paddles that fill via a total of 6 sluices simultaneously to give a fast but smooth ascent. The cill on the upper gates is moulded from concete in a v shape to minimize the risk of rudder grounding on descent. The lock is manned full time by a very amiable lock-keeper. To steady the boats ropes are looped around riser cables on the lock walls
|Sowerby Long Bridge No 2||4½ furlongs|
|Sowerby Footbridge||1¾ furlongs|
|Tower Hill Bridge||1 furlong|
|Tower Hill Winding Hole||¾ furlongs|
|Tuel Lane Lock No 3||¼ furlongs|
|Tuel Lane Tunnel (West end)|
|Tuel Lane Tunnel (East end)||½ furlongs|
|Sowerby Bridge Lock No 2||1 furlong|
|Sowerby Bridge Winding Hole||1¼ furlongs|
|Sowerby Bridge Lock No 1||1¾ furlongs|
|Sowerby Bridge Junction||3¼ furlongs|
- Sowerby Bridge railway station (Train Station)
240 yards to the southeast.
- Rochdale Canal (Landmark)
23 yards to the southwest.
- Temujin Sowerby Bridge (Mongolian Restaurant)
324 yards to the east.
- The Navigation Inn (Pub, Restaurant)
583 yards to the east.
- Academy Divers (Sports & Recreation)
247 yards to the east.
- The Commercial Inn, Sowerby Bridge - Wetherspoon (Bar & Grill, Pub)
62 yards to the east.
- The Turks Head (Pub)
106 yards to the southeast.
- Strawberry Bridge (City)
331 yards to the west.
- Bridge Balti, The Restaurant (Food & Restaurant)
58 yards to the south.
- Norland Road Park (Park)
159 yards to the west.
- Trimmingham (Residence & Other, Neighborhood)
1420 yards to the northeast.
- West View Park (Park)
1610 yards to the northeast.
- Kilburn Towers (Home)
358 yards to the west.
- Sowerby Bridge Pool and Fitness Centre (Swimming Pool, Gym)
366 yards to the southwest.
- Station Road Surgery (Professional Services)
347 yards to the southwest.
- Lidl (Grocery Store)
85 yards to the west.
- William Hill (Casino)
226 yards to the east.
- Sowerby Bridge Cricket Club (Sports Club, Sports Venue & Stadium)
574 yards to the west.
There is no page on Wikipedia called “Tuel Lane Tunnel”
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or