Tixall Wide (Southwest end)
|Milford Bridge No 105||1 mile, 3 furlongs|
|River Sow Aqueduct||1 mile, ½ furlongs|
|Tixall Bridge No 106||6½ furlongs|
|Tixall Lock No 43||4½ furlongs|
|Old Hill Bridge No 107||4¼ furlongs|
|Tixall Wide (Southwest end)|
|Tixall Wide (Northeast end)||1¾ furlongs|
|Swivel Bridge No 108||4 furlongs|
|River Trent Second Aqueduct||6½ furlongs|
|River Trent First Aqueduct||6¾ furlongs|
|Great Haywood Basin||7 furlongs|
- Aaron Chetwynd Architect Studio (Architect, Construction Service & Supply, Interior Designer)
1610 yards to the northeast.
- The Dog Man (Pet Service)
1033 yards to the southwest.
- Shugbourough Estate (Arts & Entertainment)
1182 yards to the southeast.
- Shugborough Estate (Tourist Attraction)
1628 yards to the southwest.
- The Lockhouse Tea Rooms, Great Haywood (Cafe)
1442 yards to the east.
- Essex Bridge in Great Haywood (Bridge)
1357 yards to the east.
- Great Haywood Sports and Social Club (Arts & Entertainment)
1636 yards to the east.
- Shugborough Park Farm (Museum)
1290 yards to the southeast.
- Canalside Farm Shop (Cafeteria, Food & Grocery, Farm)
1484 yards to the east.
Wikipedia has a page about Tixall Wide
Tixall Wide, also known as Tixall Broad or The Broad Water, is a body of water that forms part of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal near Tixall in Staffordshire, England, to the south of the former Tixall Hall. The hall was, at that time, owned by Thomas Clifford, the fourth son of Hugh Clifford, 3rd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, and the grounds had been designed on the advice of the landscape architect Lancelot "Capability" Brown. The lake was probably created during the construction of the canal in 1771. It is said he "gave permission for the canal to pass through his land on the condition that it was made ... wide enough to look like a lake from the house". and thus in order not to spoil the view.
It has also been suggested that the canal was routed to utilise a lake that already existed, in which the angler and writer Izaak Walton had learned to fish.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or