Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (North end)
|White Bridge No 33||2 furlongs|
|Postles Bridge No 32||1¼ furlongs|
|Rhos-y-Coed Bridge No 31||½ furlongs|
|Ruabon Branch Junction||¼ furlongs|
|CRT Information Point (Trevor)||¼ furlongs|
|Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (North end)|
|Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (South end)||1¼ furlongs|
|Coedfryn Water Point||2½ furlongs|
|Coedfryn Winding Hole||3½ furlongs|
|Aqueduct Inn||3¾ furlongs|
|Fron Lift Bridge No 28||4 furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest Water point
Nearest Rubbish disposalOn this waterway in the direction of Llantisilio - Horseshoe Falls On this waterway in the direction of Llantisilio - Horseshoe Falls
Nearest Chemical toilet disposalOn this waterway in the direction of Llantisilio - Horseshoe Falls On this waterway in the direction of Hurleston Junction
Nearest Place to turn
Wikipedia has a page about Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (Welsh pronunciation: [ˌpɔntkəˈsəɬtɛ], full name in Welsh: Traphont Ddŵr Pontcysyllte) is a navigable aqueduct that carries the Llangollen Canal over the valley of the River Dee in Wrexham County Borough in north east Wales. Completed in 1805, it is the longest and highest aqueduct in Great Britain, a Grade I Listed Building and a World Heritage Site. The viaduct carries a water passage for a single canal narrow boat as well as a towpath for pedestrians, and is now a popular tourist excursion; boat trips cross the viaduct and return.
When the bridge was built, it linked the villages of Froncysyllte, at the southern end of the bridge in the Cysyllte township of Llangollen parish (from where it takes its name), and Trevor (Trefor in Welsh), at the northern end of the bridge in the Trefor Isaf township, also of Llangollen parish. Both townships were later transferred to Wrexham County Borough following local government reorganisation.
The name Pontcysyllte is in the Welsh language and means "Cysyllte Bridge". The township of Cysyllte existed for centuries before the bridge was built. For most of its history, the aqueduct was known as Pont y Cysyllte ("Bridge of Cysyllte"). Other translations such as "Bridge of the Junction" or "The Bridge that links" are modern, and incorrect, derived from the literal English translation of cysyllte as "junctions" or "links."
- Tower Hill Barns (Event Venue)
728 to the north.
- NW Events (Event Planner, Wedding Planning, Caterer)
1014 to the northeast.
- Bushi Ryu Ju-Jitsu (Martial Arts)
1328 to the east.
- Beautique (Nail Salon, Beauty Salon)
806 to the east.
- The Hair Studio (Hair Salon)
1004 to the east.
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (Historical Place)
87 to the north.
- Froncysyllte (Community & Government)
981 to the south.
- The Limekilns Cafe & Caterers (Restaurant, Food & Grocery)
1056 to the southeast.
- Jones The Boats (Tours & Sightseeing)
646 to the northeast.
- The Aqueduct Inn, Froncysyllte (Pub, Restaurant)
856 to the south.
- Trevor Basin Visitor Centre (History Museum, Tourist Information, Gift Shop)
56 to the north.
- Tesco Cefn Mawr (Grocery Store)
1162 to the east.
- Queens Hotel, Cefn Mawr - official site (Bar)
691 to the east.
- The Queens Hotel (Bar)
691 to the east.
- A N Richards (Automotive Body Shop, Automotive Parts & Accessories, Truck Rental)
1065 to the south.
- Kbo Xuk (Sports & Recreation)
1413 to the east.
- The Telford Inn Llangollen (Beer Garden)
188 to the north.
- Llangolen Aquaduct (Outdoors, Sports & Recreation)
163 to the north.
- Anglo Welsh Waterway Holidays (Travel & Transportation)
119 to the north.
- Under the Arches (Performance Venue)
296 to the southwest.
- Acrefair County Primary School (Elementary School)
1081 to the northeast.
- Telford Inn, Trevor, Llangollen Canal (Restaurant, Bar)
183 to the northeast.
- Ty Mawr Park (Environmental Conservation)
1450 to the southeast.
- Maypole Hair Gallery (Barber Shop, Hair Salon)
840 to the east.
- Pontcysyllten Akvedukti (Tours & Sightseeing, Historical Place)
121 to the south.
- AW Renewables (Plumber)
979 to the south.
- Flexsys Bar (Restaurant, Bar)
974 to the northeast.
- Froncysyllte Aquaduct (Boating, Region)
777 to the northeast.
- Matts barber shop (Barber Shop, Hair Salon)
861 to the east.
- Hollybush in Cefn Mawr (Bar)
963 to the east.
- Eagles Inn (Pub)
1226 to the northeast.
- Beaverz Ally (Antiques & Vintage)
988 to the south.
- Ysgol Acrefair (School)
1144 to the northeast.
- Ty Mawr Country Park (Park)
1402 to the southeast.
- Thomas Telford Aqueduct (Travel & Transportation)
797 to the south.
- The Duke Of Wellington (Bar)
784 to the north.
- Wayside Diner' (Internet Cafe)
1323 to the east.
- Rhosymedre Junior School (School)
1309 to the east.
- Trevor Hall - Exclusive Holiday & Wedding Venue (Residence)
1440 to the west.
- The Rock (stadium) (Movie Theater, Landmark)
1348 to the northeast.
- LADS N DADS barber's (SpasBeautyPersonal Care)
919 to the east.
- Oddfellows Arms (Pub, Bar)
1329 to the northeast.
- Tantastic (Tanning Salon)
1322 to the east.
- Cefn Mawr Library (Library)
982 to the east.
- Kboxuk (Sports & Recreation)
1111 to the east.
- The Coffee Shop near Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. (Coffee Shop, Fast Food Restaurant)
328 to the north.