Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (North end)
|White Bridge No 33||2 furlongs|
|Postles Bridge No 32||1¼ furlongs|
|Rhos-y-Coed Bridge No 31||½ furlongs|
|Ruabon Branch Junction||¼ furlongs|
|CRT Information Point (Trevor)||¼ furlongs|
|Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (North end)|
|Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (South end)||1¼ furlongs|
|Coedfryn Water Point||2½ furlongs|
|Coedfryn Winding Hole||3½ furlongs|
|Aqueduct Inn||3¾ furlongs|
|Fron Lift Bridge No 28||4 furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water point
Nearest rubbish disposalOn this waterway in the direction of Llantisilio - Horseshoe Falls On this waterway in the direction of Llantisilio - Horseshoe Falls
Nearest chemical toilet disposalOn this waterway in the direction of Llantisilio - Horseshoe Falls On this waterway in the direction of Hurleston Junction
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-out
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (Welsh pronunciation: [ˌpɔntkəˈsəɬtɛ], full name in Welsh: Traphont Ddŵr Pontcysyllte) is a navigable aqueduct that carries the Llangollen Canal over the valley of the River Dee in Wrexham County Borough in north east Wales. Completed in 1805, it is the longest and highest aqueduct in Great Britain, a Grade I Listed Building and a World Heritage Site. The viaduct carries a water passage for a single canal narrow boat as well as a towpath for pedestrians, and is now a popular tourist excursion; boat trips cross the viaduct and return.
When the bridge was built, it linked the villages of Froncysyllte, at the southern end of the bridge in the Cysyllte township of Llangollen parish (from where it takes its name), and Trevor (Trefor in Welsh), at the northern end of the bridge in the Trefor Isaf township, also of Llangollen parish. Both townships were later transferred to Wrexham County Borough following local government reorganisation.
The name Pontcysyllte is in the Welsh language and means "Cysyllte Bridge". The township of Cysyllte existed for centuries before the bridge was built. For most of its history, the aqueduct was known as Pont y Cysyllte ("Bridge of Cysyllte"). Other translations such as "Bridge of the Junction" or "The Bridge that links" are modern, and incorrect, derived from the literal English translation of cysyllte as "junctions" or "links."
- A N Richards (Automotive Parts & Accessories, Repair Service, Automotive Body Shop)
993 to the south.
- The Coffee Shop near Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. (Coffee Shop, Fast Food Restaurant)
328 to the north.
- The Abbey Grange Hotel and Restaurant (Hotel)
1307 to the west.
- CC's Mobile Chippie (Caterer)
1041 to the east.
- Jones The Boats (Tours & Sightseeing)
646 to the northeast.
- Tower Hill Barns (Event Venue)
728 to the north.
- Trevor Basin Visitor Centre (History Museum, Tourist Information, Gift Shop)
56 to the north.
- The Aqueduct Inn, Froncysyllte (Pub, Restaurant)
856 to the south.
- Queens Hotel, Cefn Mawr - official site (Bar)
676 to the east.
- The Queens Hotel (Bar)
691 to the east.
- The Limekilns Cafe & Caterers (Grocery Store, Restaurant)
1056 to the southeast.
- Claybrook Contracting Services Ltd (Professional Service)
988 to the south.
- Llangolen Aquaduct (Outdoors)
116 to the north.
- The Telford Inn Llangollen (Restaurant, Beer Garden)
188 to the north.
- Telford Inn, Trevor, Llangollen Canal (Place to EatDrink)
183 to the northeast.
- Anglo Welsh Waterway Holidays (Travel & Transportation)
119 to the north.
- Ty Mawr Country Park (Park)
1285 to the southeast.
- Under the Arches (Performance Venue)
223 to the southwest.
- Ty Mawr Park (Playground, Environmental Conservation)
1405 to the southeast.
- Trevor Hall (Park)
958 to the west.
- Matts barber shop (Barber Shop, Hair Salon)
861 to the east.
- Border Upholsterers (Upholstery Service)
919 to the east.
- Advance Electronics (Equipment Service & Supply)
1365 to the east.
- Photography by Michael (Photographer)
1382 to the east.
- Hollybush in Cefn Mawr (Bar)
955 to the east.
- Garth (Community & Government)
828 to the west.
- Parker L Company (Accountant)
1307 to the west.
- The Duke Of Wellington (Place to EatDrink)
784 to the north.
- Tesco (Convenience Store)
1126 to the east.
- Eagles Inn (Pub)
1226 to the northeast.
- AW Renewables (Plumber)
979 to the south.
- Pontcysyllten Akvedukti (Tours & Sightseeing, Historical Place)
121 to the south.
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct World Heritage Site Canalside (Public Places & Attractions)
43 to the northwest.
- Flexsys Bar (Bar)
960 to the northeast.
- Vale of Llangollen Travel (Public Transportation)
1186 to the east.
- Trevor Hall - Exclusive Holiday & Wedding Venue (Hotel, Residence)
1440 to the west.
- Dr a Hussain (Doctor)
863 to the east.
- Hot Wash Handwash (Car Wash & Detailing)
1328 to the east.
- Black Lion Newbridge (Gay Bar)
1346 to the east.
- Cefn Druids F.C. (Sports Venue & Stadium)
1347 to the northeast.
- Dee Valley Families Project (Charity Organization)
1100 to the northeast.
- Thomas Telford Aqueduct (Travel & Transportation, Community & Government)
797 to the south.