Poplar Street Bridge
There may be access to the towpath here.
If you know about towpath access here please log on and use "Edit Place" from the "Edit and Change" menu item to improve the data.
|Old Church Street Bridge||4 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Lock No 69||4 furlongs|
|Droylsden Road Bridge||3 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Footbridge||2 furlongs|
|Tannersfield Lowest Lock No 68||½ furlongs|
|Poplar Street Bridge|
|Tannersfield Middle Lock No 67||¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Footbridge||1¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Highest Lock No 66||1½ furlongs|
|Back Lane Bridge||3¼ furlongs|
|Sisson Street Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water pointOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to Castlefield Junction, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Potato Wharf Arm
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Poplar Street Bridge
The Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge, formerly known as the Bernard F. Dickmann Bridge and popularly as the Poplar Street Bridge or PSB, completed in 1967, is a 647-foot-long (197 m) deck girder bridge across the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. The bridge arrives on the Missouri shore line just south of the Gateway Arch.
Planned just before construction of the Arch, the builders in 1959 were to request that 25 acres (10 ha) of the Gateway Arch property be turned over from the National Park Service for the bridge. The request generated enormous controversy and ultimately 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) of the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial (which included all of the original platted area of St. Louis when it was acquired in the 1930s and 1940s) was given to the bridge.
Two Interstates and a U.S. Highway cross the entire bridge. Approximately 100,000 vehicles daily cross the bridge daily, making it the second most heavily used bridge on the river, after the I-94 Dartmouth Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Some of that load has been diverted to the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
Interstate 55 (I-55), I-64 and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) cross the Mississippi on the Poplar Street Bridge. US 66 also ran concurrently over this bridge until 1979, and US 50 was routed over it before the Interstates were constructed. In addition, I-70 crossed the river here until 2014, when it was realigned to cross the river on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge when it was completed. I-44 now follows the old alignment of I-70 through downtown to the west approach for the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge although motorists traveling east on I-44 must continue west on I-70 and do not have a direct connection to the bridge. The traffic was heavily congested until the opening of the new bridge in early February 2014. In 2012, 123,564 vehicles used it every day, but after the new bridge opened, congestion alleviated by almost 14%, less than the predicted 20% decline with 106,500 vehicles using it every day because total traffic across the river from all bridges increased by 7.4% over 2013 levels.
The east end of the bridge crosses the south end of what was Bloody Island which Robert E. Lee connected to the mainland of Illinois with landfill in the 1850s. During its island days several Missouri politicians fought duels there. What was Bloody Island is now a train yard.
Although the bridge's former name honors former St. Louis mayor Bernard F. Dickmann, it is most commonly referred to as the Poplar Street Bridge, with many locals unaware of its official name. The Missouri end of the bridge sits over Poplar Street, and the media started referring to it by that name long before the bridge opened. It was officially renamed as the Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge in October 2013 in honor of Bill Clay.
- Hair by Sarah Lloyd (Hair Salon, Professional Service)
860 to the south.
- MK fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
454 to the west.
- Manchester United Forever (Sports Club, Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
1194 to the northeast.
- Failsworth Fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
454 to the west.
- MAC'S GYM (GymPhysical Fitness Center, Clothing Store)
454 to the west.
- Failsworth Soccer Centre (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1429 to the east.
- South Failsworth Primary School (Elementary School)
874 to the southeast.
- Room ThirtyFive (Hair Salon)
1039 to the east.
- The Church Inn (Pub, Performance & Sports Venue)
351 to the southwest.
- Lamb Inn (Pub)
246 to the northwest.
- The New Crown Inn (Beer Bar)
785 to the west.
- The Windmill (Pub, Hotel)
966 to the southeast.
- Fightlabbjj (Recreation & Fitness)
930 to the south.
- TheWindmill Failsworth (Pub)
1048 to the southeast.
- Brookdale Park (Environmental Conservation Organization, Park)
574 to the south.
- Desi lounge restaurant (Indian Restaurant)
475 to the northeast.
- The Old School BBQ Bus (Barbecue Restaurant, Food Truck)
765 to the northeast.
- Bespoke Wedding Boutique (Wedding Planning Service, Bridal Shop)
740 to the northeast.
- Little Bear (Local Service, Professional Service)
26 to the south.
- Failsworth Home Guard (Sports Club, Social Club)
29 to the west.
- Earls Lodge, Failsworth (Retirement & Assisted Living Facility)
36 to the west.
- Morrisons (Grocery Store)
72 to the north.
- Anchor - Earls Lodge (Retirement & Assisted Living Facility)
95 to the west.
- Lancaster Club (Organization)
485 to the north.
- Metrolink (Region)
982 to the west.
- Failsworth Pole (Religion)
1328 to the northeast.
- McDonald's Restaurant (Burger Restaurant)
525 to the west.
- AVRO Football CLUB (Recreation & Fitness)
467 to the north.
- Tesco (Grocery Store, ShoppingRetail, Convenience Store)
911 to the northeast.
- Averill House Care Home - H C One (Nursing Home)
373 to the south.
- 409 Bar (Wine Bar)
1122 to the northeast.
- Newton Heath Cricket Club (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
755 to the southwest.
- German Airport (Fast Food Restaurant)
995 to the west.
- Acorn Lodge (Nursing Home)
552 to the northeast.
- Manchester City Football Club (Sports Club)
3025 to the southwest.
- Mare and Foal (Pub)
734 to the northeast.
- Job Centre Plus England Newton Heath Jobcentre Plus Manchester (School, Public Services & Government)
1064 to the west.
- Splat Messy Play Oldham & Surrounding Areas (School, Public Services & Government)
635 to the southeast.
- Last Orders (Pub)
796 to the northeast.
- Purfection Ltd (Beauty, Region)
1483 to the northeast.
- Driven Physique & Performance (Personal Trainer, Nutritionist)
349 to the west.
- Shampers Hairdressing (Hair Salon)
875 to the east.
- Binangun Watumalang Wonosobo Jawa Tengah (City Hall)
1194 to the northeast.
- Cooke's Kitchen (Restaurant)
1041 to the southeast.