Poplar Street Bridge
There may be access to the towpath here.
If you know about towpath access here please log on and use "Edit Place" from the "Edit and Change" menu item to improve the data.
There is a bridge here which takes a minor road over the canal.
|Old Church Street Bridge||4 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Lock No 69||4 furlongs|
|Droylsden Road Bridge||3 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Footbridge||2 furlongs|
|Tannersfield Lowest Lock No 68||½ furlongs|
|Poplar Street Bridge|
|Tannersfield Middle Lock No 67||¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Footbridge||1¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Highest Lock No 66||1½ furlongs|
|Back Lane Bridge||3¼ furlongs|
|Sisson Street Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water pointOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to Castlefield Junction, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Potato Wharf Arm
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Poplar Street Bridge
The Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge, formerly known as the Bernard F. Dickmann Bridge and popularly as the Poplar Street Bridge or PSB, completed in 1967, is a 647-foot-long (197 m) deck girder bridge across the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. The bridge arrives on the Missouri shore line just south of the Gateway Arch.
Planned just before construction of the Arch, the builders in 1959 were to request that 25 acres (10 ha) of the Gateway Arch property be turned over from the National Park Service for the bridge. The request generated enormous controversy and ultimately 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) of the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial (which included all of the original platted area of St. Louis when it was acquired in the 1930s and 1940s) was given to the bridge.
Two Interstates and a U.S. Highway cross the entire bridge. Approximately 100,000 vehicles daily cross the bridge daily, making it the second most heavily used bridge on the river, after the I-94 Dartmouth Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Some of that load has been diverted to the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
Interstate 55 (I-55), I-64 and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) cross the Mississippi on the Poplar Street Bridge. US 66 also ran concurrently over this bridge until 1979, and US 50 was routed over it before the Interstates were constructed. In addition, I-70 crossed the river here until 2014, when it was realigned to cross the river on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge when it was completed. I-44 now follows the old alignment of I-70 through downtown to the west approach for the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge although motorists traveling east on I-44 must continue west on I-70 and do not have a direct connection to the bridge. The traffic was heavily congested until the opening of the new bridge in early February 2014. In 2012, 123,564 vehicles used it every day, but after the new bridge opened, congestion alleviated by almost 14%, less than the predicted 20% decline with 106,500 vehicles using it every day because total traffic across the river from all bridges increased by 7.4% over 2013 levels.
The east end of the bridge crosses the south end of what was Bloody Island which Robert E. Lee connected to the mainland of Illinois with landfill in the 1850s. During its island days several Missouri politicians fought duels there. What was Bloody Island is now a train yard.
Although the bridge's former name honors former St. Louis mayor Bernard F. Dickmann, it is most commonly referred to as the Poplar Street Bridge, with many locals unaware of its official name. The Missouri end of the bridge sits over Poplar Street, and the media started referring to it by that name long before the bridge opened. It was officially renamed as the Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge in October 2013 in honor of Bill Clay.
- TheWindmill Failsworth (Restaurant, Food & Beverage Company)
1147 yards to the southeast.
- Averill House Care Home - H C One (HospitalClinic)
408 yards to the south.
- Millstream Animal Shelter (Charity Organization)
1267 yards to the southeast.
- TMC Joinery & Exhibitions (Local Service)
744 yards to the west.
- Hair by Sarah Lloyd (Hair Salon, Local Business)
942 yards to the south.
- MK fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
497 yards to the west.
- Sophia's Hair & Beauty Bar (Nail Salon)
1010 yards to the south.
- Failsworth Fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
497 yards to the west.
- MAC'S GYM (GymPhysical Fitness Center, Clothing Store)
497 yards to the west.
- LVC Holistics (Spa, Alternative & Holistic Health Service)
587 yards to the southwest.
- South Failsworth Primary School (Elementary School)
957 yards to the southeast.
- Room ThirtyFive (Hair Salon)
1137 yards to the east.
- The Church Inn (Pub, Performance & Sports Venue)
385 yards to the southwest.
- Aspinallbjj Manchester (Recreation & Fitness)
1017 yards to the south.
- Brookdale Park (Environmental Conservation Organization, Park)
628 yards to the south.
- Desi lounge restaurant (Indian Restaurant)
519 yards to the northeast.
- Cafe Nostimmos (Coffee Shop)
942 yards to the northeast.
- The Old School BBQ Bus (Barbecue Restaurant, Food Truck)
811 yards to the east.
- Little Bear (Local Service, Local Business)
28 yards to the south.
- Failsworth Home Guard (Sports Club, Social Club)
33 yards to the west.
- Anchor - Earls Lodge (Retirement & Assisted Living Facility)
104 yards to the west.
- Morrisons (Grocery Store)
80 yards to the north.
- Arnie's Gym (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
425 yards to the west.
- McDonald's Restaurant (Burger Restaurant)
575 yards to the west.
- AVRO Football CLUB (Recreation & Fitness)
512 yards to the north.
- Metrolink (Region)
1075 yards to the west.
- Tesco (Grocery Store, ShoppingRetail, Convenience Store)
997 yards to the northeast.
- Taylor Made Gym (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
470 yards to the northwest.
- Lyme Park National Trust (Recreation & Fitness)
714 yards to the southeast.
- The Harrop Cake Company (Bakery)
883 yards to the east.
- The Mowbray Arms (Pub)
781 yards to the northeast.
- Manchester City Football Club (Sports Club)
3308 yards to the southwest.
- Failsworth Pole (Religion)
1453 yards to the northeast.
- Shampers Hairdressing (Hair Salon, Local Business)
973 yards to the east.
- Purfection Ltd (Beauty, Region, Local Business)
1623 yards to the northeast.
- Failsworth Soccer Centre (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
1564 yards to the east.
- Job Centre Plus England Newton Heath Jobcentre Plus Manchester (School)
1164 yards to the west.