Poplar Street Bridge
There may be access to the towpath here.
If you know about towpath access here please log on and use "Edit Place" from the "Edit and Change" menu item to improve the data.
There is a bridge here which takes a minor road over the canal.
|Old Church Street Bridge||4 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Lock No 69||4 furlongs|
|Droylsden Road Bridge||3 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Footbridge||2 furlongs|
|Tannersfield Lowest Lock No 68||½ furlongs|
|Poplar Street Bridge|
|Tannersfield Middle Lock No 67||¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Footbridge||1¼ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Highest Lock No 66||1½ furlongs|
|Back Lane Bridge||3¼ furlongs|
|Sisson Street Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest water pointOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest rubbish disposal
Nearest chemical toilet disposalTravel to Castlefield Junction, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Potato Wharf Arm
Nearest place to turn
Nearest self-operated pump-outOn this waterway in the direction of Castlefield Junction
Nearest boatyard pump-out
Wikipedia has a page about Poplar Street Bridge
The Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge, formerly known as the Bernard F. Dickmann Bridge and popularly as the Poplar Street Bridge or PSB, completed in 1967, is a 647-foot-long (197 m) deck girder bridge across the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. The bridge arrives on the Missouri shore line just south of the Gateway Arch.
Planned just before construction of the Arch, the builders in 1959 were to request that 25 acres (10 ha) of the Gateway Arch property be turned over from the National Park Service for the bridge. The request generated enormous controversy and ultimately 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) of the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial (which included all of the original platted area of St. Louis when it was acquired in the 1930s and 1940s) was given to the bridge.
Two Interstates and a U.S. Highway cross the entire bridge. Approximately 100,000 vehicles daily cross the bridge daily, making it the second most heavily used bridge on the river, after the I-94 Dartmouth Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Some of that load has been diverted to the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
Interstate 55 (I-55), I-64 and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) cross the Mississippi on the Poplar Street Bridge. US 66 also ran concurrently over this bridge until 1979, and US 50 was routed over it before the Interstates were constructed. In addition, I-70 crossed the river here until 2014, when it was realigned to cross the river on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge when it was completed. I-44 now follows the old alignment of I-70 through downtown to the west approach for the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge although motorists traveling east on I-44 must continue west on I-70 and do not have a direct connection to the bridge. The traffic was heavily congested until the opening of the new bridge in early February 2014. In 2012, 123,564 vehicles used it every day, but after the new bridge opened, congestion alleviated by almost 14%, less than the predicted 20% decline with 106,500 vehicles using it every day because total traffic across the river from all bridges increased by 7.4% over 2013 levels.
The east end of the bridge crosses the south end of what was Bloody Island which Robert E. Lee connected to the mainland of Illinois with landfill in the 1850s. During its island days several Missouri politicians fought duels there. What was Bloody Island is now a train yard.
Although the bridge's former name honors former St. Louis mayor Bernard F. Dickmann, it is most commonly referred to as the Poplar Street Bridge, with many locals unaware of its official name. The Missouri end of the bridge sits over Poplar Street, and the media started referring to it by that name long before the bridge opened. It was officially renamed as the Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge in October 2013 in honor of Bill Clay.
- Failsworth Fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
497 yards to the west.
- MAC'S GYM (GymPhysical Fitness Center, Clothing Store)
497 yards to the west.
- TheWindmill Failsworth (Restaurant, Food & Beverage Company)
1147 yards to the southeast.
- Averill House Care Home - H C One (Hospital)
408 yards to the south.
- TMC Joinery & Exhibitions (Local Service)
744 yards to the west.
- MK fitness (GymPhysical Fitness Center, GymPhysical Fitness Center)
497 yards to the west.
- Sophia's Hair & Beauty Bar (Nail Salon)
1010 yards to the south.
- Brookdale Park (Landmark & Historical Place, Environmental Conservation Organization)
628 yards to the south.
- The Church Inn (Pub, Performance & Event Venue)
385 yards to the southwest.
- Lamb Inn (Pub)
269 yards to the northwest.
- Aspinallbjj Manchester (Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness)
1017 yards to the south.
- For the Love of Red Velvet Cake (Shopping & Retail, Region)
760 yards to the west.
- Purfection Ltd (Local Business, Region)
1623 yards to the northeast.
- Room35 Hair & Beauty (Hair Salon)
1137 yards to the east.
- Desi lounge restaurant (Indian Restaurant)
519 yards to the northeast.
- Little Bear (Local Service, Local Business)
28 yards to the south.
- Porthos & Pals (Pet Sitter, Dog Walker)
784 yards to the south.
- Bespoke Wedding Boutique (Wedding Planning Service, Shopping & Retail)
810 yards to the northeast.
- Failsworth Home Guard (Sports Club, Social Club)
33 yards to the west.
- Anchor - Earls Lodge (Retirement & Assisted Living Facility)
104 yards to the west.
- Morrisons (Grocery Store)
80 yards to the north.
- Metrolink (Region)
1075 yards to the west.
- Aman Indian Restaurant Failsworth (Indian Restaurant)
1304 yards to the northeast.
- McDonald's Restaurant (Burger Restaurant)
575 yards to the west.
- Lyme Park National Trust (Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness)
714 yards to the southeast.
- GB Motor Centre Ltd (Car Dealership, Automotive Storage Facility)
1043 yards to the southwest.
- Taylor Made Gym (GymPhysical Fitness Center)
470 yards to the northwest.
- AVRO Football CLUB (Outdoor, Recreation & Fitness)
512 yards to the north.
- Newton Heath Cricket Club (Stadium, Arena & Sports Venue)
827 yards to the southwest.
- Manchester City Football Club (Sports Club)
3308 yards to the southwest.
- Hong Liang (Chinese Restaurant)
157 yards to the south.
- Tesco (Grocery Store, Shopping & Retail, Convenience Store)
997 yards to the northeast.
- Newton Heath Train Maintenance Depot (Engineering Service)
1156 yards to the west.
- Binangun Watumalang Wonosobo Jawa Tengah (City Hall)
1307 yards to the northeast.