Poplar Street Bridge
|Old Church Street Bridge||4 furlongs|
|Newton Heath Lock No 69||4 furlongs|
|Droylsden Road Bridge||3¼ furlongs|
|Newton Heath Footbridge||2 furlongs|
|Tannersfield Lowest Lock No 68||½ furlongs|
|Poplar Street Bridge|
|Tannersfield Middle Lock No 67||½ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Footbridge||1½ furlongs|
|Tannersfield Highest Lock No 66||1½ furlongs|
|Back Lane Bridge||3½ furlongs|
|Sisson Street Bridge||5 furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest Water point
Nearest Rubbish disposal
Nearest Chemical toilet disposalTravel to Castlefield Junction, then on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) to Potato Wharf Arm Travel to Ducie Street Junction, then on the Ashton Canal to Fairfield Junction
Nearest Place to turn
Wikipedia has a page about Poplar Street Bridge
The Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge, formerly known as the Bernard F. Dickmann Bridge and popularly as the Poplar Street Bridge, completed in 1967, is a 647-foot-long (197 m) deck girder bridge across the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. The bridge arrives on the Missouri shore line just south of the Gateway Arch.
Planned just before construction of the Arch, the builders in 1959 were to request that 25 acres (10 ha) of the Gateway Arch property be turned over from the National Park Service for the bridge. The request generated enormous controversy and ultimately 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) of the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial (which included all of the original platted area of St. Louis when it was acquired in the 1930s and 1940s) was given to the bridge.
Two Interstates and a U.S. Highway cross the entire bridge. Approximately 100,000 vehicles daily cross the bridge daily, making it the second most heavily used bridge on the river, after the I-94 Dartmouth Bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Some of that load has been diverted to the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
Interstate 55 (I-55), I-64 and U.S. Route 40 (US 40) cross the Mississippi on the Poplar Street Bridge. US 66 also ran concurrently over this bridge until 1979, and US 50 was routed over it before the Interstates were constructed. In addition, I-70 crossed the river here until 2014, when it was realigned to cross the river on the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge when it was completed. I-44 now follows the old alignment of I-70 through downtown to the west approach for the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge although motorists traveling east on I-44 must continue west on I-70 and do not have a direct connection to the bridge. The traffic was heavily congested until the opening of the new bridge in early February 2014. In 2012, 123,564 vehicles used it every day, but after the new bridge opened, congestion alleviated by almost 14%, less than the predicted 20% decline with 106,500 vehicles using it every day because total traffic across the river from all bridges increased by 7.4% over 2013 levels.
The east end of the bridge crosses the south end of what was Bloody Island which Robert E. Lee connected to the mainland of Illinois with landfill in the 1850s. During its island days several Missouri politicians fought duels there. What was Bloody Island is now a train yard.
Although the bridge's former name honors former St. Louis mayor Bernard F. Dickmann, it is most commonly referred to as the Poplar Street Bridge, with many locals unaware of its official name. The Missouri end of the bridge sits over Poplar Street, and the media started referring to it by that name long before the bridge opened. It was officially renamed as the Congressman William L. Clay Sr. Bridge in October 2013 in honor of Bill Clay.
- First choice furniture (Home Decor, Furniture Store)
1022 to the west.
- Ivy Mill Business Centre (Business Center)
1286 to the northeast.
- Failsworth Fitness (Gym, Fitness Center)
359 to the west.
- Failsworth Soccer Centre (Sports Center)
1422 to the east.
- CrossFit Northern Soul (Gym, Sports Club, Sports Venue & Stadium)
1301 to the northeast.
- Brookdale Park (Park, Environmental Conservation)
573 to the south.
- Old Mill Antiques (Antique Store)
1449 to the northeast.
- Dunamis Christian Church (Christian Church, Religious Organization)
1382 to the northeast.
- Failsworth Home Guard (Sports Club)
28 to the northwest.
- Diva Dance & Fitness (Dance Club)
677 to the south.
- Bespoke Wedding Boutique (Bridal Shop, Wedding Planning)
740 to the northeast.
- Lamb Inn (Pub)
243 to the northwest.
- 409 Failsworth (Night Club)
1116 to the northeast.
- Newton heath Working Mens Club (Pub)
688 to the southwest.
- The Church Inn (Pub, Event Venue)
351 to the southwest.
- کێشەی کۆمپیوتەر (Broadcasting & Media Production)
1287 to the east.
- Room ThirtyFive (Hair Salon, Beauty Salon)
1025 to the east.
- Beauty Shop (Beauty Salon)
1191 to the northeast.
- Sophia's Hair & Beauty Bar (Beauty Salon, Hair Salon, Tanning Salon)
924 to the south.
- Desi lounge restaurant (Indian Restaurant)
469 to the northeast.
- The Wholesome Cafe (Cafeteria, Internet Cafe, Library)
1099 to the northeast.
- EM Events Manchester (DJ, Entertainment Service)
516 to the east.
- The Windmill Pub Failsworth (Pub, Bar)
969 to the southeast.
- Church Inn Failsworth (Pub)
1382 to the northeast.
- Shampers Hairdressing (Hair Salon)
889 to the east.
- Ultimate Fitness UK (Personal Coaching, Fitness Center, Nutritionist)
454 to the west.
- K9Swim Manchester (Pet Service)
880 to the south.
- 317 Failsworth Air Cadets (Organization)
241 to the northwest.
- Earls Lodge, Failsworth (Bar)
37 to the west.
- The Hurtlocker (Sports & Recreation)
409 to the northwest.
- Morrisons (Grocery Store)
149 to the north.
- Millgate (Food & Restaurant)
869 to the northeast.
- Aman Indian Restaurant Failsworth (Indian Restaurant)
1181 to the northeast.
- Failsworth Driving Test Centre (Classes)
1213 to the northeast.
- KFC Failsworth (Fast Food Restaurant)
955 to the northeast.
- Failsworh (Borough)
1257 to the northeast.
- JMS Scaffolding (Portable Building Service)
1418 to the northeast.
- McDonald's Restaurant (Burger Restaurant)
529 to the west.
- Mare and Foal (Bar)
734 to the northeast.
- The Mowbray Arms (Bar)
796 to the northeast.
- Cooney Insulations Limited (Home Improvement)
289 to the west.
- The Culcheth Gates pub (Bar)
785 to the southwest.
- Oscars Cafe (Cafe, Fast Food Restaurant, Coffee Shop)
873 to the east.