Harecastle Tunnel (North end)
Facilities: chemical toilet disposal, rubbish disposal and water point.
|Ravensdale Bridge No 129||2 miles, 2½ furlongs|
|Tunstall Pipe Bridge||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Chatterley Arm Bridge No 129A||2 miles|
|Turnover Bridge No 130||1 mile, 6 furlongs|
|Harecastle Tunnel (South end)||1 mile, 5¼ furlongs|
|Harecastle Tunnel (North end)|
|Harecastle Bridge No 131||½ furlongs|
|Kidsgrove Railway Bridge||½ furlongs|
|Turnover Bridge No 132||1¼ furlongs|
|Hardings Wood Railway Bridge||2¼ furlongs|
|Harding's Wood Junction||2½ furlongs|
- Kidsgrove railway station (Train Station)
219 yards to the north.
- Kass kebab take away (Take Out Restaurant, Pizza Place, Burger Restaurant)
514 yards to the northeast.
- Bathpool Park (Outdoors)
767 yards to the south.
- Kidsgrove Sports Centre (Sports & Recreation)
116 yards to the southwest.
- Kidsgrove Town Hall (Community & Government)
466 yards to the northeast.
- Kidsgrove Leisure Centre (Sports & Recreation)
183 yards to the west.
- Birchenwood (Outdoor Recreation, Park)
1592 yards to the east.
- Kidsgrove Swimming Baths (Swimming Pool)
176 yards to the west.
- Clayhanger Guest House (Lodging)
641 yards to the northeast.
- Red Bull (Pub)
1358 yards to the northwest.
- Trent & Mersey Canal Lock 46 (Ferry & Boat)
1524 yards to the northwest.
- Scotts Barbers (Barber Shop)
1115 yards to the west.
- Cauldwell Tavern (Pub)
1344 yards to the west.
- Tesco (Grocery Store)
560 yards to the north.
- Legga Mutton (Fishing)
732 yards to the southwest.
- Stoke On Trent Train Station (Train Station)
292 yards to the southeast.
- Gareth Stewart Hairdressing (Spa, Beauty & Personal Care)
389 yards to the northeast.
Wikipedia has a page about Harecastle Tunnel
Harecastle Tunnel is a canal tunnel on the Trent and Mersey Canal at Kidsgrove in Staffordshire. It is made up of two separate, parallel, tunnels described as Brindley (2,880 yards or 2633 metres) and the later Telford (2,926 yards or 2675 metres) after the engineers that constructed them. Today only the Telford tunnel is navigable. The tunnel is only wide enough to carry traffic in one direction at a time and boats are sent through in groups, alternating northbound and southbound. Ventilation is handled by a large fan at the south portal.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or