|Teddington Lock Weir Exit||2 miles|
|Entrance to Outdoor Education Centre||1 mile, 4½ furlongs|
|Swan Island (Richmond upon Thames)||1 mile, 3¾ furlongs|
|Eel Pie Island||7¾ furlongs|
|Hammerton's Ferry||3¾ furlongs|
|Richmond Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
|Corporation Island||5¾ furlongs|
|Flowerpot Islands||7 furlongs|
|Richmond Railway Bridge||7¾ furlongs|
|Twickenham Bridge||1 mile, ¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
- Ham Polo Club (Sports Venue & Stadium)
580 to the southwest.
- Ham and Petersham Rifle and Pistol Club (Sports & Recreation)
1292 to the southwest.
- Headcase Barbers Richmond (Barber Shop)
845 to the north.
- Richmond Thames Riverfront (Outdoors, Sports & Recreation, River)
484 to the northeast.
- Pembroke Lodge (Tea Room, Event Venue)
1076 to the southeast.
- Richmond Hill Park (Park)
639 to the northeast.
- Richmond Riverside (Farmers Market)
944 to the north.
- Petersham Nurseries (Garden Center)
345 to the southeast.
- Petersham Nursery (Tea Room)
332 to the southeast.
- Richmond Spiritualist Church (Church)
1197 to the northeast.
- Richmond Hill, Surrey (State Park)
878 to the northeast.
- Ham House and Garden (Historical Place)
892 to the southwest.
- Muriel's Kitchen, Richmond (Restaurant)
1036 to the north.
- Richmond Bridge (Bridge, Public Transportation)
937 to the north.
- Eel Pie pub, Twickers (Pub, Bar)
1491 to the west.
- Hollyhock Cafe (Cafe)
528 to the northeast.
- St Stephens Church Twickenham (Religious Center, Borough)
688 to the northwest.
- Paypal UK (Workplace & Office)
1050 to the north.
- Richmond Canoe Club (Sports Club)
525 to the north.
- Be At One Richmond (Bar)
907 to the north.
- Richmond Deer Park (Park)
1074 to the southeast.
- Latin Angel Studio (Tattoo & Piercing)
829 to the north.
- Itsu (Sushi Restaurant)
1323 to the north.
- Jackson + Rye Richmond (Family Style Restaurant)
1002 to the north.
- The Alligator's Mouth (Book Store)
1223 to the north.
- Ozzie Rizzo Richmond (Hair Salon, Beauty Salon)
942 to the north.
- Jack Green Fitness (Personal Trainer)
1089 to the west.
- THE DYSART PETERSHAM (Restaurant)
482 to the southeast.
- The Roebuck Richmond (Pub, Bar)
566 to the northeast.
- Le Salon Privé (French Restaurant)
1036 to the northwest.
- L'Oasis Cafe (Hookah Lounge, Internet Cafe)
770 to the north.
- The Crown St Margarets (Bar, Pub)
935 to the west.
- White Swan Richmond (Gastropub)
1363 to the north.
- Pig's Ears Craft Beer Cellar (Restaurant)
1105 to the north.
- Richmond Arms (Gay Bar)
1310 to the north.
- Encore Richmond (Lounge, Place to Eat/Drink)
943 to the north.
- Ham House (Tours & Sightseeing)
1002 to the southwest.
- Twickenham Craft Fairs (Community Organization, Arts & Crafts Supply Store)
1416 to the west.
- The Petersham Hotel (Restaurant, Event Venue)
431 to the northeast.
- Rose of York (River)
372 to the northeast.
- Bingham (Restaurant)
663 to the north.
- The Poppy Factory (Charity Organization)
753 to the north.
- Richmond Theatre Pantomime (Theater, Ticket Sales, Performance Venue)
1349 to the north.
- Curzon Richmond (Cafe)
1104 to the north.
- Richmond Hill, London (Region)
687 to the northeast.
- Richmond Golf Club (Golf Course)
1218 to the southeast.
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Wikipedia has a page about Glover's Island
Originally called Petersham Ait, Glover's Island is situated in Horse Reach on the River Thames, between Richmond Lock and Teddington Lock in the Borough of Richmond upon Thames, London, England.
In the 1872 the island was bought by a Richmond waterman named Joseph Glover for £70. He put the island up for sale in 1895 but Sir J. Whittaker Ellis (Charter Mayor of Richmond) declined to buy it for £5,000 and suggested that the Richmond Corporation should be approached.
The Amenities Committee considered the proposal on 2 April 1895 and decided –
"That while the Committee think it desirable that the Island should be acquired for the Corporation if it could be obtained at a reasonable price, they are of the opinion that in view of the sum now named, it would be useless to enter into any negotiation for its purchase."
Trying again in 1898, Glover caused a scandal by putting the island up for auction and suggesting it could be sold to Pears soap to erect a giant advertising hoarding.
Glover used this to blackmail the Richmond Corporation, offering it to them for £4,000 but although the Corporation wanted to buy the island, it was felt that there was no justification in spending such a large sum of money out of its funds.
There then followed a lengthy debate and correspondence in the local press about preserving the view from Richmond Hill and suggestions were made that the purchase should be funded jointly by public subscription and the corporation.
By September, only £50 had been given to the public fund and the disclosure that Glover had purchased the island in 1872 for £70 did not help the collection.
The auction took place on 21 September but the highest bid was only £200. An unnamed resident had offered Glover £1,000 for the island (which he then intended to present to the Corporation), but Glover refused to sell and also withdrew the island from sale.
In 1900 Max Waechter, who lived in Terrace House, Richmond Hill, bought Glover’s Island and gave it to the Council – the sale price was never disclosed.