|Teddington Lock Weir Exit||2 miles|
|Entrance to Outdoor Education Centre||1 mile, 4½ furlongs|
|Swan Island (Richmond upon Thames)||1 mile, 3¾ furlongs|
|Eel Pie Island||7¾ furlongs|
|Hammerton's Ferry||3¾ furlongs|
|Richmond Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
|Corporation Island||5¾ furlongs|
|Flowerpot Islands||7 furlongs|
|Richmond Railway Bridge||7¾ furlongs|
|Twickenham Bridge||1 mile, ¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Wikipedia has a page about Glover's Island
Originally called Petersham Ait, Glover's Island is situated in Horse Reach on the River Thames, between Richmond Lock and Teddington Lock in the Borough of Richmond upon Thames, London, England.
In the 1872 the island was bought by a Richmond waterman named Joseph Glover for £70. He put the island up for sale in 1895 but Sir J. Whittaker Ellis (Charter Mayor of Richmond) declined to buy it for £5,000 and suggested that the Richmond Corporation should be approached.
The Amenities Committee considered the proposal on 2 April 1895 and decided –
"That while the Committee think it desirable that the Island should be acquired for the Corporation if it could be obtained at a reasonable price, they are of the opinion that in view of the sum now named, it would be useless to enter into any negotiation for its purchase."
Trying again in 1898, Glover caused a scandal by putting the island up for auction and suggesting it could be sold to Pears soap to erect a giant advertising hoarding.
Glover used this to blackmail the Richmond Corporation, offering it to them for £4,000 but although the Corporation wanted to buy the island, it was felt that there was no justification in spending such a large sum of money out of its funds.
There then followed a lengthy debate and correspondence in the local press about preserving the view from Richmond Hill and suggestions were made that the purchase should be funded jointly by public subscription and the corporation.
By September, only £50 had been given to the public fund and the disclosure that Glover had purchased the island in 1872 for £70 did not help the collection.
The auction took place on 21 September but the highest bid was only £200. An unnamed resident had offered Glover £1,000 for the island (which he then intended to present to the Corporation), but Glover refused to sell and also withdrew the island from sale.
In 1900 Max Waechter, who lived in Terrace House, Richmond Hill, bought Glover’s Island and gave it to the Council – the sale price was never disclosed.
- Dysart Arms (Pub, Bar)
485 to the southeast.
- Marble Hill Playcentres One O'Clock Club (Child Care, Playground)
539 to the northwest.
- Marble Hill Playcentres Adventure Playground (Playground, Park, Charity Organization)
497 to the northwest.
- Twickenham Craft Fairs (Market, Community Organization)
1417 to the west.
- bhutilondon (Yoga & Pilates, Spa, Tea Room)
901 to the north.
- Ozzie Rizzo Richmond (Hair Salon, Beauty Salon)
942 to the north.
- Warren Wines (Liquor Store)
1458 to the west.
- Alba Richmond (Restaurant)
662 to the northwest.
- Marlborough, Richmond Hill (Gastropub, Pub)
867 to the northeast.
- Rose of York (Bar, River)
370 to the east.
- The Petersham Hotel (Restaurant)
431 to the northeast.
- Bingham (Restaurant)
663 to the north.
- Richmond Gate Hotel & Leisure Club (Meeting Room)
598 to the east.
- Ham Polo Club (Sports Venue & Stadium)
582 to the southwest.
- Cedars Health Club (Sports Club, Gym, Health Spa)
583 to the northeast.
- Richmond Thames Riverfront (Boating, River)
582 to the north.
- Petersham Nurseries (Garden Center)
345 to the southeast.
- Richmond Hill, London (Hotel, Landmark)
566 to the northeast.
- The Aleksander (Arts & Entertainment)
665 to the northwest.
- Richmond Riverside (Shopping & Retail)
971 to the north.
- Digme Fitness (Gym, Sports Club)
1315 to the north.
- LondonRichmond (Public Places & Attractions, Bar)
1448 to the northeast.
- Ham House and Garden (Historical Place)
878 to the southwest.
- London Borough of Richmond upon Thames (Community & Government)
1406 to the west.
- Marble Hill House (Historical Place)
571 to the west.
- House Festival, Marble Hill Park (Performance Venue, Sports & Recreation, Outdoors)
482 to the southwest.
- Petersham Nursery (Restaurant, Garden Center, Community & Government)
354 to the southeast.
- RICHMOND RIVERSIDE Waterfront (River)
989 to the north.
- Ham House (Tours & Sightseeing)
1002 to the southwest.
- Hollyhock Cafe (Coffee Shop)
522 to the northeast.
- Sunshine & Ravioli (Coffee Shop)
1144 to the northwest.
- Richmond Canoe Club (Sports & Recreation)
525 to the north.
- Richmond Bridge, London (Bridge, Landmark)
873 to the north.
- La Creperie Bretonne (Place to EatDrink)
1166 to the northwest.
- German School London (School)
478 to the south.
- Byron Burgers (Burger Restaurant, Fast Food Restaurant)
1060 to the north.
- Pincho (Place to EatDrink)
1456 to the west.
- Westfield Shopping Centre- Stratford, London (Shopping Mall, Grocery Store)
782 to the south.
- St Stephens Church Twickenham (Church)
680 to the northwest.
- Pembroke Lodge (Tea Room, Event Venue)
1088 to the southeast.
- Jackson and rye Richmond (Restaurant, Bar)
966 to the north.
- Byron Burger - Richmond (Restaurant)
1032 to the north.
- Al Boccon Di' Vino (Italian Restaurant)
1124 to the north.
- Pizza Express Richmond (Pizza Place)
1122 to the north.
- Travelodge London Richmond (Hotel)
1185 to the north.
- Be At One Richmond (Bar)
902 to the north.
- R & H UK (Cafe)
786 to the north.
- The Roebuck Richmond (Pub, Bar)
582 to the northeast.
- THE DYSART PETERSHAM (Food & Restaurant)
508 to the southeast.
- Nando's Richmond (Portuguese Restaurant)
950 to the north.