What Changed in August and September 2017
Saturday August 5 2017
- By pre-release patch fixed a caching problem with marker places (see issue 300).
- Similarly, an even smaller patch, fixed a problem with quickroute and places with embedded commas (see issue 297).
To Sunday 27 August 2017
- Improved background processor. Refactored code to make more readable and arranged for files to be transferred to a new "execute" directory before being run. This means that if a queued command fails it will be kept in the execute directory but not retried (before this the system would retry and fail forever). Fixed error handling (do not disable SIGCHILD if you want system() to work!).
- Improvements to the changes data for the change log and for the RSS feeds:
- Keep previous version which makes display much more sensible when several edits have taken place recently
- Better display of changes in the "show recent changes" page
- A button to expand all changes in that display
- Fixed logging of photo changes
- Where relevant, these improvements are shown in place history as well
- Lots more changes preparatory to moving the site to https at Google's insistence (frankly, if you don't trust your ISP I'm not sure why you should trust us!) while still allowing http for development and private instances. The policy is to use explict https for remote sites but the source protocol for internal complete links:
- QR code generator using protocol-relative URL
- feature.can uses protocol-relative URLs for pictures passed to social-media tools
- gazetteer.can uses PRURLs for search-engine redirects
- logon.can uses PRURLs for calls to create mantis accounts
- showstuff.can uses PRURLs for gravatar and for preview photos, and doesn't assume external links should be http
- cached_gaz_data does similar for preview photos
- all internal redirections (through "Redirect_To" and similar) use PRURLs
- calls to Google geocode use https
- Upgraded feature.can to use better OS grid code (missed when general upgrade done previously)
- Pre-release patch to placefinder to prevent looping on "bridge nn" in route planning (issue 303).
- Fixed typo that prevented the history button re-appearing when you closed a place's history
- Fixes to form code to make it work when shown on a /place/ url or similar (fixes associated bug described in note on issue 303.
- Lots of changes to the geodata fetching code to reduce the load on the database (this was a partial cause of yesterday's lockout (see issue 309).
→ Release 9.30.4
Monday 28 August 2017
- Fixed bug that had removed most default access records and re-created
- Added new quicker, and hopefully more popular way, to quickly change access
- Added that access has changed to changes and rss feed. No detail in the changes as it would involve fairly substantial coding.
- Changed gazetteer layout to put the linear map and the text alongside each other
→ Release 9.30.5
- Pre-release patch to allow history of places with access changes
- Work to make moorings as easy to change as accesses, and go for a single value not a star rating
Tuesday 29 August 2017
- Allowed comparison of lookup tables
- Used this to modify "if changed" code in revision to prevent superfluous access changes being logged - issue issue 311
- Changed code so that setting access always made it visible
Wednesday 30 August 2017
- Some pre-release hacks:
- Fixed some permission errors around the background processor
- Fixed mantis cookie creation (PRURL was not the way to go here)
- Avoided errors with Googlebot-invented compound URLs like http://canalplan.org.uk/gazetteer/waterway.cgi?id=mfv7
Friday 1 September 2017
- Fixed default access for ends of waterways (some were getting missed)
Saturday 2 September 2017
- Made "/location/" urls internally redirect as asked for in issue 307
- Fixed a bug where a four character name with an initial capital caused an error (it treated it as a putative ID, then complained about it!)
- Fixed a bug in history for brand-new places
- Added text to explain changes to mooring and access (and some fairly generic code for other types in future)
- Script to change old star rated moorings into mooring data in place extra
Sunday 3 September 2017
- Partitioned and disabled the web ring code until it supports https
- A basic "what's the system status" page for admins but not linked in anywhere
- Completed and tested the mooring code
- Temporarily disabled the "share" from gazetteer pages - will probably replace with entirely inhouse system anyway.
- Made links from index page photo go directly to the place, not via the gazetteer
- Fixed the bug where the gazetteer put a "nomarker" on when it shouldn't
- Strange patch to Geograph code to make thumbnail URLs into https - they aren't when fetched via wget
- Rationalised variables in rss and "what's new" code to avoid two almost identical lists
→ Release 9.30.6
Sunday 10 September 2017
- Lots of improvements to mooring code - ability to set how you moor and any restrictions as well as a comment. Improved display in changelogs.
- Code to build html files from templates systemised
- Fixed escaped symbols when selecting the start place for a cruising ring issue 316
- New social logon using our code rather than an external user
→ Release 9.30.7
Monday 11 September 2017
- Fixed bug where some place names "looped" when selecting them (where the case wasn't exactly what was expected)
- Fixed bug where it segfaulted on searching for - eg "wigan flight"
- Improved efficiency of search code slightly
- Fixed crash when setting a mooring to "impossible" in edit place
- Fixed bug in sorting when a mooring and marker place change fell in a particular order and broke changes/RSS
- Added a title to the release history
- Fixed link to RSS feed
→ Release 22.214.171.124